What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Identify this flower

Ozzy

SirKristoff is a poopiehead
Staff member
Supporter
I want to see if anybody can identfy this plant by it's flowers.
100_0330.jpg

100_0331.jpg

100_0332.jpg

It's a violet from the SE US. But you'll have to wait until Laura or APril come to ID it with a Scientific name.

Oh and it likes Cp bogs. I have a few. It is either related to the purple one or is the same species.

There are literally thousands of these things. I've got one right now that I can't ID, possibly Viola papilionacea. Come to think of it, I have another violet I can't ID and haven't been able to come close for about 2 years.  I've got a few that are white but they aren't like yours.  I have Viola sororia bi-color, V. 'Freckles',  and V. canadensis so I could post photos of these for you to be able to compare.  I don't think yours is Viola blanca, V. pallens, V. renifolia, or V. macloskeyi as the leaves are all wrong. You might want to check for images of Viola lanceolata. If it isn't V. lanceolata, I have absolutely no idea what it is.  Supposedly, I have V. lanceolata here somewhere but I have never run across it yet. Sorry, I struggle with violets myself.

Oh darn. But at least you can see it while bogging.

I saw it the flowers and first thought it was either a ping or bladderwort. I was disappointed when I got closer. At least I found some D.capillaris growing with them.

Well Ozzy you were looking in the right place D. capillaris is never far away.

Laura, I found this plant in SE NC.

oh wild violets rock. I have a purple one and two different white ones. One of the white ones is from last year and it has two flowers
smile.gif

speaking of violets my african violets are flowering and BOY is one flowering! 6 flowers open right now and more to come. (and it's small)

Yes 0zzy, SE NC would be part of that particular violet's native range. I'll see if I can get April to take a look see. I stumbled upon this thread quite by accident and don't normally frequent this forum as people are generally asking for IDs on carnivorous plants and I can barely identify my own let alone somebody else's so I leave that to the experts.

Here's one I have flowering here right now-
b596c6dd.jpg

Laura that's native to New England. Especially New Hampshire. Can't remmeber the name though.
Alpha I didn't know African Violets get very big. Usually mine grow only 6 inches across which is about normal violet size. When I remember to water it (If it does not die because of no water) I can get up to 18 flowers at once.

Tre, would you please go on line and tell me the bi-nomial to that viola that you think mine is that is native to New England especially New Hampshire?  The viola I photographed and posted above is the one that has been stumping all of us for a few years. We had finally come to the conclusion that it might be a hybrid, whether it is a naturally occurring hybrid or not is anyone's guess.  I'm sort of hoping it's native still.  

I have African Violets here and one of mine is the size of a dinner plate.

Ozzy's plant is Viola Lanceolata.

Tre, did you find the binomial of what you think my viola is?

Well I knew april's name sounded familiar. No Laura I can't find my "Field Book" I fear it is one of the ones in the freezer (I got a few field guides wet on my hike the other day). I will continue to search.

You can also find it under the name Viola sororia

No Tre, it isn't V. papilionacea.  Mine have no yellow present in the petals whatsoever. Additionally, look at the shape of the petals on my plant.  They are quite distinctly rotund. V. sororia is a synonym for V. papilionacea.  I have V. sororia here as well as a few hybrids of V. sororia but I am relatively sure this plant isn't V. papilionacea. V. papilionacea is truly a variable species in that it is a lot like oaks and seems to hybridize with everything around it which would put us back to a hybrid.  I actually think this is some sort of a hybrid of V. odorata which would mean that it is a naturally occurring hybrid. The leaves were pretty much telltale that it would be a native though.

Back