What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Vft in need of an id

I recently got this VFT from a local grocery store. It was too pretty to pass up. Once I got home I realized it looked fairly different from my common VFTs. It gets red really easily and is red on both the outside as well as the inside. And each new trap that comes out seems to be almost pink. Here's a picture...

vftu.jpg

What do you guys think? A common one or a cultivator?

Michelle

[b said:
Quote[/b] (divaskid @ June 22 2005,2:00)]A common one or a cultivator?
First of all, I do not think it is a "cultivator":
[b said:
Quote[/b] ]1. a person or thing that cultivates.
2. an implement drawn between rows of growing plants to loosen the earth and destroy weeds.
Your plant appears very healthy and well-grown. It looks like a common VFT to me. If it turns all red (petiole and trap), it could be a 'Red Dragon'.

If not, perhaps a 'Green Dragon'.

I think I agree with Bob... Red Dragon is a good bet. It has much shorter petioles than my Red Dragon, however. Green Dragon is another possibility but I'm pretty sure that Green Dragon is entirely maroon/purple - mine is at least. If it colors up more in the sun, though, it could be a Green... It could be some sort of giant cultivar, such as Big Jaws, though, judging by the length of the trap relative to the petioles.
~Joe

Why does everyone think it is a cultivar? Or maybe I should say why does everyone try and put a cultivar name to just about any flytrap they see?

Flytraps are very diverse. Culture and time of year can play a big part in how the plant looks as well. In all honesty there are only a just a handful or two of truely different looking plants from what you might find out in the wild if you had a the time and ability to look through 100's or 1000's of plants.

Tony, a whole lot of folks think the way to be a CP'er is to name a cultivar, then you would be famous. Plus, newbies don't know that much to start out with (we have all been there!) and don't know the difference between a cultivar and a pretty plant. And that IS cultivar, not cultivator. Learning all the time!!!

Back