What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Seedlings- any ideas?

These were started from seed and this is their third year. I received the seed from a friend in Ohio and he doesn’t remember what he sent me.  My recollection is that none of the seed he sent me was a hybrid or cultivar so I suspect this is a straight species. Does anyone have any ideas what they are?
9cf69a8d.jpg

A close up-
f1173133.jpg

I was thinking wherryi but these seedlings seem too stocky for some reason.

It's still early to try and make a call on these but based on:
- wide lid - esp early in the season (S. rubra ssp albamensis comes alive in the fall)
- nice rounded lid with no 'flava' tip
- light veining
- the way the plant exits the crown and comes away from the center of the plant before going vertical

My guess would be S. oreophila. I'll be very curious to see what the 'real' experts have to say.

Late addition: I just came in from outside and noticed that a young S. alata from TX has several of these characteristics - easier to figure out when they get older...

Still to early to say. I have various flavas and hybrids that all look pretty much the same.

They look nice and chunky though.

Nice and chunky, eh? I thought they looked kind of "stocky" myself.  At this point everything I have is all starting to look alike. I give up. These seedlings are giving me a headache and I will have to try again in a year or two. Who knows, by then I might even be able to id them myself. Doubtful but there's always hope.

its a rubra, i think its a alabamensis or wheri
smile.gif

or mabe alata, i dont know
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif
confused.gif

smile_h_32.gif

Back