Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Unknown sarracenia

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'm glad you treat (and talk) your plants well, April! They are far less likely to turn on you that way. The plants can take as much heat as you can giv ethem as long as you keep them wet, wet and more wet. Don't separate them now. I'd wait until Spring unless they're so crowded that you risk fungus and rot.
    My chicken legs taste like chicken--only less meaty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I keep their water trays topped up, JBL. I'll move them back into full sun this weekend. Thanks Mucho Mas! I'm thinking it would be really difficult to separate them, as their roots are probably pretty well inter-twined. So, I guess I will over winter them, and just plop them all into a bigger pot this coming spring. They can hybridize all they want, I guess. April.
    \"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible,\" Jamie Raskin, to Senator Nancy Jacobs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If you want to separate them in the spring, I'm sure you can untangle the roots just fine. This is more easily done if you remove the medium so that you can see what you're doing. That plant with leucophylla in it will appreciate the full sun. Good luck! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    My chicken legs taste like chicken--only less meaty.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    JBL is right, April. The more heat, with wet, is what they crave. The heat can intensify the color, and they love it. One fellow in Atlanta area grows his plants in a 115 degree F. greenhouse with the humidity kicked up a bit, and has the most colorful plants on the planet! Even Agristarts could not believe one of his plants was theirs as the colors were so brilliant. (Could be S.X areolata, April.)
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks Bugweed...I went out with the flashlight last night and put them back into full sun. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] When I left home this morning they were happily sunning themselves! Thanks again, guys!
    \"People place their hand on the Bible and swear to uphold the Constitution; they don't put their hand on the Constitution and swear to uphold the Bible,\" Jamie Raskin, to Senator Nancy Jacobs.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You sort of have what I thought the plants were correct. I think the tall one is S. leuco x ?. I think the other plant is a straight species rubra ssp. rubra. I also thought I saw a straight species oreo.

You might want to consider watering your Sarracenia from the top down. Also too, flush them every once in a while. As far as dividing, I wouldn't do it this fall unless there is a good reason to do so and they really aren't all that cramped in that pot. Why not wait until next spring. When you go to divide them, gently pull off as much medium as possible and give it a little shake. Dip the whole tangled root mess into a nice bucket of air temperature water and gently swish the intertwined blob around and the plants will separate from each other. You donít even need to be able to see well to do this as you will be able to feel the plants separating with your hands.

I like the location you moved your plants to. They are still getting at least 7 hours of sun. There was something very wrong about your plants in dark pots sitting on dark red brick hovering over nice black asphalt getting about 14 hours of sun a day that just didn't sit well with me. I think they were frying like eggs on the hood of a car.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yeah, I had lots of fried pitchers, that's for sure. Like I said, some of them didn't pitcher until I moved them. Now you all know why us newbies are often so confused! [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_m_32.gif[/img] The weather is supposed to break within the next week or so, which is good news. Then they can sit on their little perches and perhaps not fry. April

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12