Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: hatching praying mantis pods

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    Hehehehehehehe.
    <Heli> How are you guys losing your hamatas?
    <Brokken> Heli: The hamburglar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by uphwiz View Post
    wow thank you swords , i was just trying the for the first time , now im quite excited , have you ever had any of the cool looking species
    do you have any pictures of African species Sphodromantis lineola.
    sounds ominous .LOL
    mine are just reg Chinese pods what ever that means , Im quite new to this.
    Good luck with yours. I just took my batch of oothecae for the species I keep out of cold storage a couple of weeks ago so they can start incubation. I love keeping and breeding matids. It's extremely fun and interesting.

As for cool looking species... Well, there are new species being discovered all the time in the tropics that look amazing. However, I think my favorite one will always be Idolomantis diabolica.

It's visually stunning...
    Photo Link 1
    Photo Link 2
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    my mantids are hatching and im still waithing on my fruit fly cultures should get here in a day or two , will this be ok , or should i get some thing locally, would they eat aphids i have plenty of these in the gardens. or shoould i wait a day or two for the flys.
    are they going to eat each other? guess there would still be one very big monster left. LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Check your PM for my long winded answer.

For now just make sure you mist them gently and they get some water to drink. I don't think you want to bring aphids in. They will "tide themselves over" until the flies come... but there should be plenty left in a few days time - they hatch out like mad don't they? How many do you estimate? Have you opened their container yet? They scramble everywhere - flooding out like an exodus! Have fun with that!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Grats on getting them hatched. They will readily eat each other if food is in short supply. While growing they will eat as fast as you can give them food. Hopefully your ff culture is very active. Even small mantids will go through ff like crazy. Don't be surprised if you get hooked into a new hobby. They grow quickly, and their head movements give them such a unique quality, it's almost like they are more then little insects. After you've given the chinese mantids a try, check out the more unusual species. They can be fascinating.

I used to be really into the mantis hobby. At one time or another, I had just about all the great exotic ones, except diobolica and hymenopus coronatus . Those things were impossible to get back then. For a long time I really liked Gongylus. Such an unusual shape and I loved the way they danced around, and how they could be kept communally. But jeeze they were timid and refused anything but flies or small bees, hard to come by at certain times of the year. Mine would even refuse tiny crickets. Plus they needed such high temps. Ghost mantids were easier and readily took small crickets. Pseudocreobotra ocellata is an awesome mantis also. So exotic and beautiful, and you've gotta love the threat display!

In the end, I found the bigger, aggressive breeds to be my favorite. I had hierodula and loved how big they got. Plus they were fairly aggressive and tough. Chinese mantids never did anything for me, but it might be because they are so common outside. Plus I found them timid for their size. I really liked affnis. Great colors, and quite aggressive! Plus they gorge themselves to a point more than any other species I kept. But my favorite were the lineola's. Not huge in length, but stocky and strong. Very aggressive and brave, they are tough little nuggets. They would pursue their prey, actively chase it down, and would routinely take prey 2x their size! I fed my adults anole lizards every now and then. Plus they lived long for mantids. Of course that varies depending on how much they are fed and temps they are kept at.

Hey, found a few old pics I still had hidden away online:
    affinis

lineola acting tough:

Mugshot:

hierodula (left) and lineola (right) side by side:

juvenile paradoxa:

Eats genetically engineered tomatoes Sig's Avatar
    Michigan -- If you donít like the weather, blink!
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's so cute how they all climb to the top and then fall down!
    Formerly known as Silenceisgod!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nightsky,
    S. lineola was my first species! Got the ooth from Orin Mcmonigle of Elytra and Antenna books a long time ago when his Keeping Aliens mantis booklet was first released.

I'm getting four L6 stage paradoxas on Friday if the stars are right. Can't wait, it's a species I've wanted since forever.

Nowdays you can order houseflies and bluebottle pupae (or maggots whee!) from here: http://www.mantisplace.com/feederinsects.html

I've got 100 BB pupae coming you just put a pupae or two into the mantis enclosure and in 24-48 hours they hatch and the mantis gets dinner. I could start a BB culture but I hate maggots! I can toss a "fly bean" (pupae) into a terrarium once a day to avoid the stinky maggot farming.

Jimmy,
    I'd put these guys in a 10 gallon clear rubbermaid container or something similar to give them more leg room, put lots of twigs or silk plants with bendable wire stems all twisted inside the bin so they have individual places to climb on and hang upside down from to molt, However big the mantis is he will need twice that height to molt. When they hatch together they tend to all molt at the same time so they all need "perches" from which to do it. They may or may not eat their molts, it's ok if they do cos it has some food value.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast