any advise on hatching my pods, I just got them ,
    what to do??
    anyone?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    warm them up. and wait....

i might add i had two of them, both ooths opened at the same time. i originally intended to use them for a science project in march. they didnt open until the summer--so i think temperature has a lot to do with their development.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Jimmy, What species did you get? My first was an African species Sphodromantis lineola.

What I do is put them into a big tupperware foodie (like a 1 gallon size or bigger) with a hole cut on the top with aluminum mosquito screen glued over the hole. I hang the eggcase (ootheca) with the seam facing down so gravity will allow them to slide easily out of their cells inside the egg. Then I place the foodie(s) ontop of my TV since it's warm but not too hot. Mist through the ventilation hole every day or two, not much just a spritz, don't want the egg to get soggy or anything. I don't always remember to mist everyday, just do it the next time you think of it.

I don't use any substrate in the hatching foodie cos when they do finally hatch (after a month or so of warm "weather") you have to dump them out into something bigger to grow on if you don't plan on setting them free in the garden immediately. Only release the three species approved by the USDA to be released in the US: Carolina mantis, European mantis and Chinese mantis otherwise you'll have to find homes for them or freeze (euthanize) the extras. Or just keep them together a long time and eventually you will only have a few! LOL

A clear plastic bin with some 2" ventilation holes covered with the screen and lots of branchy twigs in it so they can hang upside down and molt to their next instars is an easy and fast home for a colony of mantid babies. Don't keep them as a big community after their 3rd or 4th molt or they'll start eating each other even if there is abundant food. A couple can be kept in a well planted aquarium for quite some time but don't be shocked when there is only one fat and happy one.

Make sure you've got a few fruit fly cultures handy cos they'll need to eat a few days after they hatch. If you feed them right away they will run from the fruit flies! LOL But make sure when they hatch that you carefully mist the walls of container so they can drink, they need water. You'll see them walking head down lapping up the water. They'll eat fruit flies for a few weeks, keeping the babies warm (below 90*F) and well fed will make them grow faster, once they get to the point they can eat tiny crickets you can let them be cooler (room/outdoor temp) and grow slower, unless you want them big fast then warm temps and lots of food will grow them faster but they will also not quite live as long since their entire life processes are sped up by "power feeding". But I always power feed them the first stages because they are quite fragile at a young age so this blasts them through those days quickly.

After they get too big to keep as a big group you can set them free in the garden and just keep a couple, females will make an egg sack full of clones whether there are males or not so you can get eggs in the fall from your pet mantis (if it's a female).

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    wow thank you swords , i was just trying the for the first time , now im quite excited , have you ever had any of the cool looking species
    do you have any pictures of African species Sphodromantis lineola.
    sounds ominous .LOL
    mine are just reg Chinese pods what ever that means , Im quite new to this.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's Tenodera sinensis the Chinese mantis, not my pic:
    http://www.cirrusimage.com/mantidae_praying_mantis.htm

The S. lineola looks pretty much like any other green mantid, a stockier build than the Chinese one which I always think looks like a stick insect.
    http://www.magmaconcept.com/insects/0sphodro.htm

it wasn't the more beautiful and exotic species but very handleable after a while and that's what's cool, the interaction. The common species are generally easily handleable until they get their wings as adults, but hand training takes time for them to get over their skittishness otherwise they're just a fine "behind glass" pet for a terrarium.

Here's a good forum about mantids I've just located a while ago: http://mantidforum.net
    There's a few TFers over there, join in the fun! Lots of trading and such going on for the rare and exotic mantid species.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My 4th grade teacher actually reared hatchlings in a test tube vial for a few weeks before giving them out to us!

They make great pets for the house, mine would always pick a spot above the window sill. I wouldn't mind having one again. Thanks for a reminder of my childhood!

I used to keep stick insects too, but I'm not sure if this is the right forums considering what we grow haha.
    Nepenthes Outdoors in CA

Growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    ....pet mantis
    Please, define "pet mantis"
    <Heli> How are you guys losing your hamatas?
    <Brokken> Heli: The hamburglar.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast