Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: 3 Ghost photos!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Spectacular, they are amazing little creatures, and that they've evolved like that, woah!
    Grow list...
    http://terraforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=114907

“Experience: that most brutal of teachers. But you learn, my God do you learn.” C.S. Lewis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    I've got an order in for 3 spiny flower mantids (Pseudocreobotra wahlbergii "essentially the same as" P. ocellata) getting my nymphs on the 20th.
    Awesome! Good luck with all of them! Make sure you post some photos of both the ghosts and the spinys as they get older.
    -Joel from Southern California

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Oh cool you got 'em. Yeah. They do stay small. Don't you love how they move like a leaf in the wind? How they flutter and dance. great species, enjoy.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, their movements are so comical. The green one dances and travels around the most and the black one waves at him/her all the time from his perch.

I've only just begun collecting them! It's good to desire various ones for a while which makes you do lots of research before buying your critters - at least hopefully it does.

I like my two Ts but they are so darn light phobic, I've tried putting their enclosures on the non-lighted shelves under the lit ones and they have been sulking/hiding their faces ever since so I moved them back to their dark closet and they relaxed a little. My rosy has still not been the same ever since very jumpy and shy now, I hope it's just premolt and not unintended psychological damage. I can only imagine if I had put them directly under the T5s... Mantids on the other hand are sunbathers so bright lights for their plants are no problemo - the perfect weird display insect for planted vivarium.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by swords View Post
    Get the Ghosts now and buy the Orchids whenever they come up, seems nobody has any Orchid nymphs at the moment.

I've got an order in for 3 spiny flower mantids (Pseudocreobotra wahlbergii "essentially the same as" P. ocellata) getting my nymphs on the 20th.

Not my pic but what the mature spiny flowers look like:

Orchid Mantids seem prone to a sort of blackening disease. An old TF member had to do a radical amputation on one of his Orchids this past March who's forearm turned black and the black was spreading for some reason. He seemed to have stopped whatever it was by doing the arm amputation but I'd hate to have to do something like that - of course so did he!

Here's a place to get housefly and blue bottle fly pupae (bigger meal than fruitflies), put one "fly bean" in the tank every day if you don't wanna hatch them out separately and gut load them, stun them and then put them in the enclosures. keep the beans in the fridge until needed:
    http://www.mantisplace.com/feederinsects.html
    Buy PUPAE not spikes, spikes are maggots! lol
    That is absolutely incredible! It doesn't even look like it belongs to this world...

Yours varieties are very neat as well. This is a hobby I didn't realize existed...
    Visit The Sundew Grow Guides: http://www.growsundews.com
    New- Drosera video tours & other sundew info, now on YouTube!

Happy Growing!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is absolutely incredible! It doesn't even look like it belongs to this world...
    Wait until you see the Wandering Violin Mantids coming in June!

Again, this is not my pic, and my babies won't look like this for some months
    Gongylus gongylodes

here's the pic source which is also a great online reference:
    Phasmids in Cyberspace

These get much larger than the species I have now, check out the videos for Violin Mantis on You tube they are quite large for exotic species. I have not ordered them yet cos I need to get their large enclosures setup first.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123