What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Wanna see a cute baby?

Here's one of my 3 new Spiny Flower mantids (pseudocreobotra wahlbergii)

flower1.jpg

It's a little blurry but I'll get some better new pics tomorrow on my day off I just wanted to share a quick snapshot I took while unpacking in a dim room.

These guys are so cute, they wag their spiny tails (abdomens) like a puppy and are not afraid of a big old finger at all. You could almost hear them gasp with excitement and then set off running when I showed them each their little vivariums with plants and twigs compared to their shipping vials lined with paper towels.

The guy I ordered them from said they were eating houseflies, well my Blue Bottles that I hatched for them are as big as they are - if not bigger! No way are they catching and eating them at this age my 1 1/2 - 2" Ghost Mantids take a long time catching the BBs. If these little guys were able to grab a BB fly they'd have to hang on for dear life as the fly zips around... whee! :D I gave them each a bunch of melanogaster fruit flies for now (the ant sized ones).

Last edited:
They are cute... they look like something from Starship Troopers.

Your right Hermopolis. Pretty neat.

Would you like more information ? Click here

Awesome, the tail wagging is definitely cute. The houseflies are supposed to be a little bit smaller than the blue bottles.

that...is...flipping...AWESOME!!!!! looks like the scorpion thing from transformers!

Got an email from the guy, he says to de-wing the flies. :(
I'll have to go get some pinhead crickets until I get some regular housefly pupae. I don't wanna mutilate anything, even a fly! LOL

you can cut the wings off, that shouldn't hurt the fly.

I don't wanna do that but I did put the flies in the freezer for a minute or two and that knocked em down enough that I could tong feed the little guys. Here's the tiniest one having some lunch:
flowerbigmeal.jpg

Looks like they're waltzing doesn't it? :D

I was shocked they could take them, the flies really kicked and punched but the little mantids prevailed!

Wonderful! Do post more, please.

Looks like they're waltzing doesn't it?

This reminds me far too much of my highschool prom, in far too many ways. :p

I just got some smaller house fly pupae in the mail on Saturday, those should be a bit easier for them to tackle on their own. The pupae are about 1/2 the size of the Blue Bottles. What's funny is even though it takes them like 2-3 hours to eat something the same size as themselves before lights out they are already pretending to be hungry and grasping at the flies they see in the ghost mantids vivariums or in the fly hatching cup. I won't feed them more than one BB every other day at this size because they'd likely burst their abdomens if they ate two flies too close together.

Warcraft Zerg race ground digger of terran robot crusher?

Your right Hermopolis. Pretty neat.

Would you like more information ? Click here

Haha! Sounds totally like the movie.

---------- Post added at 02:27 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:25 PM ----------

you can cut the wings off, that shouldn't hurt the fly.

Just curious, how do you know, why do you figure?

---------- Post added at 02:30 PM ---------- Previous post was at 02:27 PM ----------

Wonderful! Do post more, please.

This reminds me far too much of my highschool prom, in far too many ways. :p

Nah! You're still alive, head still on your shoulders!

I'm in awe of your vast knowledge of weirdness swords. I'm not worthy! :banana2:

Back