What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mantid eggcase

• Thread starter swords
  • Start date
I was shopping for some wood today and found a nice cork tube. When I got home and was studying it I found this (already hatched) mantis eggcase (ootheca) hidden in the bark texture :

corktubeooth1.jpg

try and find it in this picture - it's right there! :D

corktube.jpg

can you highlight it on the larger photo I dont see it at all

Sure:
corktubeooth2.jpg

J/K

:D

---------- Post added at 10:00 PM ---------- Previous post was at 09:55 PM ----------

corktubeooth3.jpg

wow nice find, thats a pretty large piece of cork, lots of dough ?

It's only about 20" long x 4" or 5" wide (it's a round tube) just long enough to fit perfectly in a 10 gallon. It didn't cost much cos that shop has their tubes marked "medium cork" $11.98. Whatever is in the bin (all nice pieces for 10 gallons) is that price.

Last weekend I drove all the way to the city to the big reptile shop but all they had was actual tree sized cork tubes - as big and tall (or taller) than I am! That shop sells theirs by the lb not the piece (and won't cut the pieces) so those tree trunks would be impressive but $$ hundreds $$!

your always talking about the long drive to the city.
You must live in the middle of nowhere. LOL:-))
wow i would love to have a giant tube of cork , it would probably start me on a new terrarium ,
did you catch the finish of the new terrarium its up and running,:-D
just need my t-5 light for it. have to save for it this time , ive spent way too much in the past few months.:blush:

I saw the new setup it looks great! What is the amount of force which the mist comes out of the nozzles? Is it very gentle/soft? I'm wondering if they would be too strong to put one in each 10 gallon vertical insect vivarium. It's no problem hand misting every day but a few second bursts a few times a day might help the moss along better. I just worry the mantids could get blasted to smithereens if they were in the wrong spot at the wrong time it would be like a ultra bidet! :D

ive spent way too much in the past few months
I know how that is, I've blown a massive load on the Nep crabs, tank, flourite, glass, water neutralizers/supplements, plants, temporary tank and supplies for that, etc all in 24 hours. The display isn't even started yet and I have more stuff to go get on Tues...

I live about 30 miles from anything cool so it just seems like along haul to get anywhere interesting.

The mist would probably be a bit much ,if they were in the line of fire, little more than a spray bottle , though it is a fine mist , I wouldn't sacrifice that ghost to try it.

Back