What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My newest Pet.

Emperors are the best, big and scary to people, but super docile and never sting, at least the adults don't. The younger ones might sting. I'd get some again if I had the room. A 10 gallon doesn't even seem big enough, I don't like seem them trying to climb the corners and banging their claws on the glass.

Have you kept scorpions before? It's a gorgeous species, but not something I would ever keep. Incase of an earthquake or my cat messing with it's enclosure, I don't want that loose in the house. The most dangerous scorp I got is C. sculpturatus, not too concerned about this one.

Now that I look at it more, are you positive it's Androctonus australis? Can you take another picture with a good side view of it's tail? From the pic, it looks more like a Vaejovis (devil scorpion), which also has a fat tail.

Took a couple new pics of the scorpion. I'm sure that its a Androctonus Australis.

a-82.jpg

b-76.jpg

I didn't send it via USPS.. I sent it FedEx. Which is allowed..

Actually, I looked this up before and it's not.....matter of fact, NONE of the postal carriers will knowingly ship venomous inverts of any kind......it sucks, but it's in the fine print.

Actually, I looked this up before and it's not.....matter of fact, NONE of the postal carriers will knowingly ship venomous inverts of any kind......it sucks, but it's in the fine print.

Hows that so? Theres online stores that you can order scorpions and spiders from.

Hows that so? Theres online stores that you can order scorpions and spiders from.

Funny thing, it's not illegal to sell them....only to ship them. There have been dealers who have been busted for selling them before.

It's like you're not allowed to ship plants unless you go to the counter first... Oh, wait, people didn't know that? I think you'll only get caught if they open it up thinking it's drugs or something. "Lets see if there's any pot in here... Oh, a vial, that's probably where it is... OH MY ****** GOD A SCORPION"

I have heard this as well, but of course, how do you suppose they arrive at the petshops or anywhere else for that matter? The arachnid fairy? That's the story anyway! ;)

I'd be curious to know if any of the busts ended up having more to do with tax evasion than enforcing the fine print of what they will and won't knowingly deliver.

I have heard this as well, but of course, how do you suppose they arrive at the petshops or anywhere else for that matter? The arachnid fairy? That's the story anyway! ;)

I'd be curious to know if any of the busts ended up having more to do with tax evasion than enforcing the fine print of what they will and won't knowingly deliver.

LOL. Very well put.

Ok, in the newest pics, it does appear to be Androctonus. In your first pics, because of the angle, it made the last segment of the tail, right before the stinger, seem way longer than it would be.

Wow, what most amazes me is how you can send animals in the post.

I really think what was meant here was "How do you pack a scorpion for shipping?"

It's like you're not allowed to ship plants unless you go to the counter first... Oh, wait, people didn't know that? I think you'll only get caught if they open it up thinking it's drugs or something. "Lets see if there's any pot in here... Oh, a vial, that's probably where it is... OH MY ****** GOD A SCORPION"

not only that. but an ****** scorpion that can KILL, AND has no antivenin. :-))

What a time for the delivery person to drop the package at the wrong address! LOL

I just want to know if there is someone there to distribute all the cool cp's,
if you go down, Mr. 101:devil:

What a time for the delivery person to drop the package at the wrong address! LOL

LOL, That would be something else. :-))

---------- Post added at 10:01 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:00 PM ----------

I just want to know if there is someone there to distribute all the cool cp's,
if you go down, Mr. 101:devil:

LOL, I'll have to find someone for that job. Always Taking applications. :-))

It's actually happened where peoples shipments of tarantulas never showed up at their address but they never had repercussions. Just imagine some old lady opening a jar with a 9" or bigger aggressive and fast moving old world tarantula not knowing it was in there. I guess it would be partly their fault for opening someone else's mail...

I got a box of large roaches once where they were packed loose in the box on sheets of egg crate no inner container. I knew they would be sent that way but if someone at the PO grabbed a box cutter and slashed it open... there would be much screaming! :D

If you get a long pair of feeding/grasping tongs you should be fine. I got my 10" tongs at petco for like $5, I use them for almost everything: passing out feeders, tank maintenance, removing dead or uneaten feeders, placing single cut stems of plants, tong feeding my critters when they are in the mood to take it that way.... I also ordered 2 pairs of 11" surgical scissors off ebay for terrarium plant trimming, one pair with bent blades and one straight. I love them, they're super sharp and have an awesome small profile to reach way back and trim just one leaf petiole or stem inside a jungle of other plants.

Last edited:
It's actually happened where peoples shipments of tarantulas never showed up at their address but they never had repercussions. Just imagine some old lady opening a jar with a 9" or bigger aggressive and fast moving old world tarantula not knowing it was in there. I guess it would be partly their fault for opening someone else's mail...

I got a box of large roaches once where they were packed loose in the box on sheets of egg crate no inner container. I knew they would be sent that way but if someone at the PO grabbed a box cutter and slashed it open... there would be much screaming! LOL

That could be worse than a mail bomb... "accidently" send a fattail to someone you don't like! The scare factor would make them super paranoid about their mail.

I got a box of large roaches once where they were packed loose in the box on sheets of egg crate no inner container. I knew they would be sent that way but if someone at the PO grabbed a box cutter and slashed it open... there would be much screaming! :D

LOL, she'd be after the broom in no time. That would be a site seeing the P.O. workers running frantically to get away from the roaches. I see mostly ladies working in the post offices were I live at, LOL.

---------- Post added at 10:35 PM ---------- Previous post was at 10:33 PM ----------

That could be worse than a mail bomb... "accidently" send a fattail to someone you don't like! The scare factor would make them super paranoid about their mail.

LOL, if your going to do something like that, your better off sending a Death Stalker scorpion. Their Venom is nearly 3 times more potent than that of a cape cobras.

I use the 12" tongs.. I highly recommend you get a pr. Mike!!

Back