What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

What once was lost, now is found

As some of you may know I lost an Avic Versicolor sling a few weeks ago but was not worried or concerned because all the "T'" enclosures are within my walk-in greenhouse. So I figured he/she would make a home somewhere and one day I would discover his/hers hiding place.

Well that day has arrived :D at the very top of the Nepenthes vine and on the other side of the greenhouse
IMG_3903.jpg

IMG_3905.jpg

The little sling seems happy here in its new fancy web, So I just feed a little cricket, gave a little mist of water and let him/her be :-D
No I do not plan on locking her up again , lol Not for now anyways

That's AWESOME. "Oh, you escaped from your home? Okay, have an even bigger one!" And that you're letting him have a happy life catching the insects that your plants don't.

Cool a free range T - just be sure to watch your step!
The little frogs who sneak into the orchid shop greenhouse seem to get squished quite often.

IIRC you said you had gotten two slings. It will be interesting to see how fast the growth rate is on the caged VS uncaged. My only concern is if your GH is an unheated one, I would imagine even in GA it could get too cold for a tropical spider if the GH isn't heated.

Aw! I'm so happy you found it!
I'd be so scared of it wandering off and finding a new home again though..

Awesome indeed, its like 2 rival fighting for food in a greenhouse :) and ultimately two rival will have to eat eachother to survive :D don't let your biggest Nep eat your T

HOORAY!! Looks happy up there amongst the "Princess.."

Cool a free range T - just be sure to watch your step!
The little frogs who sneak into the orchid shop greenhouse seem to get squished quite often.

IIRC you said you had gotten two slings. It will be interesting to see how fast the growth rate is on the caged VS uncaged. My only concern is if your GH is an unheated one, I would imagine even in GA it could get too cold for a tropical spider if the GH isn't heated.

No worries about the tempature, the greenhouse has heating and cooling:

Temp Summer: Days 88-92f, 65% rh Nights 72-76, 80+ Rh

Temp Winter: Days 82-84, 75% Rh Nights 68-70, 80+ Rh

These can be adjusted I just prefer to keep them here for the purpose of the electric bill :0o:

Aw! I'm so happy you found it!
I'd be so scared of it wandering off and finding a new home again though..

That's ok, the little guy would show up again somewhere else, the greenhouse is pretty sealed up and screens cover all the vents.

Thanks Mass, I will try to not loose him again lol no promises ;)

Last edited:
So - how long until you've got a full-size, free-ranging T welcoming you into your greenhouse each day?

I can see the sign on your door warning thieves ......:-O

So - how long until you've got a full-size, free-ranging T welcoming you into your greenhouse each day?

I can see the sign on your door warning thieves ......:-O

Depends on how often it get's fed, the temps, and humidity. All of these things will effect the growth rate of the T. Most likely it'll be a 1-2 years..

Quick update, feed her again last night a small 1/4" cricket with a tong/tweezer and "ALEX" rushed the tweezers like a bullet for that cricket :D

Yes, the baby versi now has a name "ALEX", and yep I picked a unisex name ;)

She comes out of her web at night so I will try to get a pic around Midnight tonight or tomorrow night.

Alex enjoying free rein to go where as do as it pleases.
IMG_3948.jpg

Time for a little update and feeding 7-28-10

Alex is doing great, webbing up a little thicker and very sociable (for a T).
Alex comes out every evening to see whats going on and look for food or water, I mist just outside her web every evening, she seems to like it.

But on with the feeding:
IMG_4065.jpg

IMG_4066.jpg

Now, anyone that can feed and take a pic at the same time and get better pic's, feel free to come over and try, she is fast as hell :D

She grabbed that cricket and dragged it with the tweezers back into her hole before I could release the darn tweezers , lol

omnomnomnom.....

i dont care much for any form of arachnid other than scorpions...
ill admire tarantulas from a distance...lol

-sparkling eyes- Pretty color

Interesting story line update for you:

So, I decided to clean out the greenhouse today (aka G-5) and while ripping out more purple Wandering Jew , stuff is like a weed! Well anyways hidden in the Wandering Jew mess see below:
IMG_4095.jpg

I found this: Alex's first molt :0o: she must have climbed down here and molted while she was on her 2 week safari :-))
IMG_4089.jpg

fine ;)

So, after a few requests I decided to talk the free range avic out for a photo shoot and ummm,

Someone has been sneaking out for a few Midnight snacks :D

IMG_4132.jpg

Handling tarantulas is not advised or endorsed

Are you sure its ok for your Versicolor sling to be so freely near the CPs? It's like putting a VFT in my G. Pulchra sling's container.

Wow she looks great!

I agree that purple wandering jew is a real weed. I chopped off a gallon size bag of the stuff and sent it to someone and I already have ton to clip again. It loves to establish in adjacent pots! :(

actually.. I wouldn't say she looks great. She looks like you should NOT feed her again until she molts. Unfortunately, tarantulas lack what it takes to not eat too much food. They will literally eat until their abdomen bursts. And by the looks of it, she isn't far off. I wouldn't give her anything else to munch on. She's probably having a hard enough time dragging that junk in the trunk as it is. lol

Ha Ha, she Molted last week :D PRETTTYYYYY and a smaller but, lol

Back