User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Ghost Mantid ooth begins to hatch!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I'll never be able to get pics like Larry does...

But I'll do what I can!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    any more survived?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    4 out of 8 babies have emerged and survived so far, no more emergences yet today but my female made another ooth!

Seems like they tend to hatch a few each day, first day one, today 7, maybe tomorrow a dozen? Keep your fingers crossed!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    awsome did you mist the sides to keep Humidty up?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Yes, as well as nearly water log the moss in the bottom of the hatching container and tape off the ventilation except for a very small section of screen. I've placed the hatch container ontop the TV to get slight bottom heat to help evaporate the water into humidity, maybe tomorrow everyone will hatch smooth and easy.

Oh yeah, my female laid a new ooth today too!

Seems like she only wants to lay them on certain diameter twigs, her tank is full of twigs but it wasn't until the latest one I added the other day that she made a new one on that new twig.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey Swords - ghosts are actually burst hatchers. I don't think you'll get any more nymphs.

Might be because it was the first ooth she laid....does the second one look better? Sometimes they're just schangad for no reason, too.

Generally, nymphs see to start getting hungry 24 - 48 hours after hatching.

I raised ghosts communally, so you don't really ever have to separate them as long as you keep them fairly well fed.....though with just four, I don't know if you want to chance it. I started with 10, and ended up with 7. Then all hell broke loose - I had 5 males, all of whom molted to adult fine....and two females. The first to mold (TWO MONTHS after the males matured) mis-molted and died. The second, two weeks later, fell, but I got there in time to rescue her. However, ALL my males died of old age before she was ripe. Then she died two days after being mated (about 2 months later) to a male I procured from a friend.

Sheesh.

I have four ooths that I have since gotten now that I'm waiting on...but they seem to take a while. Here's to hoping! This is a GREAT species.

Have you tried D. bolivari? It's a South American dead leaf - also really cool, and also very long-lived. I have a fresh male and female adult that I'm going to try and mate this weekend (if he's finally ready - break out the soft music and wine!).
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by schloaty View Post
    The first to mold (TWO MONTHS after the males matured) mis-molted and died. The second, two weeks later, fell, but I got there in time to rescue her. However, ALL my males died of old age before she was ripe. Then she died two days after being mated (about 2 months later) to a male I procured from a friend.
    Something I've wondered about with the mantis discussions. If owners aren't making any attempt to keep from breeding siblings - how are you avoiding inbreeding depression?

There was an article in a recent NatGeo magazine on inbreeding within royal families. King Tut apparently had some serious issues likely caused by this...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the input Dave, the second ooth is definitely longer by about 50%. I'll watch the first ooth a while just incase, nothing else to do! LOL

Ron, I've asked about this in a few places that will allow US dwelling members to join and haven't gotten any concrete answers. I would think it's best if siblings didn't mate but most don't seem to be too concerned about it in regards to raising insects. The bigger concern seems to be weakening and deformations caused by successive parthenogenic generations in those species capable of it.

I wonder how many of the ghosts and other exotic mantids circulating the US are originally from the same ooths, my orange isopods (and everyone else's) all came from one guy's chance discovery and the culture seems strong. They have to be kept separate or they will cross breed and become grey when kept with normal ispods.

The babies are all eating now.
    Last edited by swords; 09-08-2010 at 11:11 AM.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast