What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The Ghost Mantid ooth begins to hatch!

They can take heydei as hatchlings? I have 32 oz cultures of both flies going I've just read that it was best to wait until they have their first molt before putting them on the larger fruit flies.

I do have a new shipment of 100 housefly pupae but I would think them too small to take those yet. but then last spring I got those L3 spiny flowers and had nothing to give them but stunned blue bottles (the largest) and they were able to eat them.... :D

flowerbigmeal.jpg

My adults live on blue bottles and captured wild moths. I tried hatching the wax worms or whatever they were into wax moths but those moths don't move compared to ones that come in at night so I didn't see the point to ever do that again. Those wax moths would hang in one spot and most died of old age in the mantis tanks! LOL I feed crickets occasionally but have heard rumours that feeding crickets affects them negatively so I only do it rarely and usually by hand (tongs).

I keep my young mantids in 1.5 gallon plastic candy jars like Rebbca sells on her site (mine came from The Container Store) but mine are fully planted tiny vivariums with small plants and mosses, isopods & springtails to clean up. I raised my first ghosts individually one in each but I've put all 4 in one this time to see how they do together.

I just got an email from Yan, baby Violins are shipping tomorrow! :)

Last edited:
I got that same email! I'm gonna make the violins learn to eat roaches and crickets! BBs are too hard to get locally and shipping is way expensive.

My baby ghosts are eating wingless melanogaster right now.

I figure $12.50 a month for 500 BB is a good deal, my mantids can eat all they want and it's only that much, I just order them everytime I take my dad shopping on the 3rd of every moth. I spend more on crickets I buy locally at petco for the Anole, Tarantulas and crabs. If I had somewhere to breed stinky noisy crickets I would. Maybe at my climate controlled Public Storage bin? LOL

Despite the L3 baby ghost enclosure being almost swarming with D. heydei fruit flies and plenty of individual areas it appears they have eaten each other down to one female. I can't find the other three dead anywhere and they could not have escaped. So I don't think they are as communal as everyone says. Oh well this baby girl (best guess at this point) is well fed! :D

D'oh! It is my opinion that ghosts are a bunch of wussies, everything scares them. I have 7 babies eating wingless mels, one of the ghosts even molted, it's only been a week since they hatched.

Back