User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: The Ghost Mantid ooth begins to hatch!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    We'll have to wait til our Violins arrive!

I am incubating ooth #2 now, I have the same container with live moss in the bottom but I taped over the ventilation which got me the fog on the sides but I am afraid it will grow mold on the ooth if it stays that wet for a month before hatching so I pulled the tape off. I will have to experiment with how much to tape it off to get fog but not mold.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have no luck with ghost ooths. I got my first one from Poland, it didn't hatch, I cut it open and it was all black inside. So the guy sent 2 more, it's been a week, been keeping it warm and very humid, but nothing is hatching. I wonder it they're drying out during shipping, it takes 10 days to receive my packages from Poland.
    larry
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigflytrap/
    Save a tree, legalize cannabis.
    Be enlightened

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Larry - if they hatched in shipping, you would have had bodies everywhere.

My experience with ghost ooths is that they can take quite a while (couple of months) sometimes to hatch. If it's only been a week, you have PLENTY of time before you should worry.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Guess I spoke too soon. My ghost ooth hatched yesterday, 1 died, 1 stuck and is probably dead and about 5 healthy looking ghosts. The hatch rate is a bit disappointing. Oh well, I have another ooth, hopefully that'll be more productive. I should be receiving a female today, I'll try to mate her tomorrow. I hope to be overrun by ghosts someday.
    larry
    Be enlightened

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    What will you do with them all? My big fear is if I do get a good hatch on any of my critters and nobody wants them or already has them then what? Can't release them so they either have to be used as food for other things or try and find homes for them all cos I don't have space or even a desire to keep 50 ghosts or 40 horsehead grasshoppers or 100 baby crabs or 50 pygmy chameleons or... a few of each is all I want! LOL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ghosts are so awesome someone will want them. Plus, ghosts are communal so I want to have a large tank filled with them. So I actually have only 4 babies, very dissapointing.
    larry
    Be enlightened

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Ghosts are so awesome someone will want them.
    Let's hope so!

My 4 baby ghosts from ooth #1 have now all molted into 1/4" - 1/2" tall true baby ghosts with the head casques. So far all are still brown, no greens despite a green mother.
    Moved them up to the larger D. heydei fruit flies flies too. These little guys eat a lot of fruit flies over the course of a day, I wonder how many a fat little dart frog could eat everyday, geez!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Swords, they can tackle the D heydei at L1....at L2 you can move to houseflies, if you have a source. Of course, they can continue on the FF's...they'll just eat more of them.

As nyphs, they are very aggressive towards their prey, and will actually stalk. Once they get a bit older, they almost completely rely on ambush predation (though if really hungry, will give "chase").

Larry is right, too, to a point - they are communal - which means only that they engage in LESS canibalism than other mantids. It can still happen, especially if you don't feed them enough. This is not normally an issue until later on, when there becomes a dispariy in how fast they mature (hense a significant size difference).

But with your numbers, one semi-large cage will be fine. Even a 32 oz containter until they're L4.

I raised 10 in a 2 1/2 gallon hex aquarium and had NO canibalism - but I was lucky.
    17 Nash Rd.
    North Salem, NY 10560

YOU! Outta my gene pool!

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast