What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Lesson learned - make sure lids are tight

• Thread starter schloaty
  • Start date

schloaty

Staff member
So I had this nice, cherry-sized ooth of H. multispina (mantis) sitting in it's hatching chamber for a couple of weeks.

I must have knocked the lid or something....

Yesterday, while out shopping, they ooth hatched. Now, at cherry-size, most people would expect, oh, 20 or 30 babies....

Yeah....

More like between 200 and 300 hatched....and while there were still a good number in the chamber, they were also all over the entire mantis tank (where I keep my cages), up the wall, on the mantle peice (of couse, there guys are kept in the living room)....everywhere. Thankfully most of them hadn't gotten far, but what a fiasco!

My daughters and I spent about a hour rounding them all up. I still found one more this moring.

I just hope none end up on my wife's pillow, or I am likely not to live out the day.... :-))

LOL that had to be fun though right? ;)

I remember the first time I unscrewed the lid off my first Chinese mantis hatching container, I was expecting tiny little guys like that to be scared of a big old human and I'd have time to pull each one out... Nah, zoom they were everywhere! On me, on the table on the floor, on the walls, like someone set off a baby mantis bomb!

I hear if you put out a saucer of beer and dave's hot sauce under a spotlight on the floor they will make a bee line (or mantis in this case) for it. Toss a couple peanuts in for good measure !

LOL! Beer and my hot sauce? Well now...I did recently make a very good batch of sauce.... And I have some Blue Point Toasted Lager in the fridge....

Now, to just get some peanuts...

What's that you say? It's supposed to be for the MANTIDS?!? Dude! I like the little buggers very much....but they better not touch my hot sauce and beer or else SQUISH-O !!! :angry: :lol:

Back