Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: I found a praying mantis

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

I found a praying mantis

I was outside and I saw something walking on the grass while I was doing a phone call. I investigate it and it is a praying mantis! So I caught it and it's wandering around on my desk right now.

What kind is it, and can I keep it? I have a Insectlore Butterfly Garden house that I can put it in. And some sticks... or do they need special equipment like heat lamps and humidifier?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aww it's so cute! Great find

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great find. Looks like a Chinese mantis. The butterfly garden is perfect, just put some sticks in there for it to climb on. Don't need extra heat or humidity, just feed it lots of bugs. Flies, moths, crickets and roaches make great food.
    larry
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/bigflytrap/
    Save a tree, legalize cannabis.
    Be enlightened

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    At this time of year the mantis look for places to lay eggs before winter's cold kills them, so there is a chance that you might have a pregnant female. Sorry to say that they only live about a year, so it probably won't live much longer, even indoors.
    Some days it just isn't worth chewing thru the restraints.

My growlist: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...255#post961255

Video of my birth http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Xc5wIpUenQ

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My Chinese mantis is the only thing that will eat the invasive marinated stink bug, they might also eat japanese bettles bit i dont have much luck with that.

Otherwise they will eat many household pests that are not venomus or treated with insecticides. If their are none you will be forced to buy crickets from the store as it is almost winter. They can eat canned catfood though...

They will only need heaters if it is below 50 degrees so dont worry, also it is an adult and it does not need humidity to shed. Water can be given by taking a bottle cap or spoon and having it drink water out of that, it will bend over and lick up the water with its tongue.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thez_yo View Post
    Aww it's so cute! Great find
    I know right!? I love

Quote Originally Posted by larry View Post
    Great find. Looks like a Chinese mantis. The butterfly garden is perfect, just put some sticks in there for it to climb on. Don't need extra heat or humidity, just feed it lots of bugs. Flies, moths, crickets and roaches make great food.
    Cool I'm gonna buy her tons of crickets!!

Quote Originally Posted by Exo View Post
    At this time of year the mantis look for places to lay eggs before winter's cold kills them, so there is a chance that you might have a pregnant female. Sorry to say that they only live about a year, so it probably won't live much longer, even indoors.
    Ohh so this one's a girl? How cute. She's cute. I let her climb around and she crawled up my arm and into my hair, and it tickled.

Quote Originally Posted by raymond View Post
    My Chinese mantis is the only thing that will eat the invasive marinated stink bug, they might also eat japanese bettles bit i dont have much luck with that.

Otherwise they will eat many household pests that are not venomus or treated with insecticides. If their are none you will be forced to buy crickets from the store as it is almost winter. They can eat canned catfood though...

They will only need heaters if it is below 50 degrees so dont worry, also it is an adult and it does not need humidity to shed. Water can be given by taking a bottle cap or spoon and having it drink water out of that, it will bend over and lick up the water with its tongue.
    Wow cat food o_o. I read that mantis prefer juicy bugs with soft exoskelies so I'mma buy her tons of crickets. I put a wet cotton ball in the habitat, it that okay? I can give her a plastic bottle cap if needed. I just didn't want her to drown somehow.

---------- Post added at 06:23 PM ---------- Previous post was at 05:07 PM ----------

So I bought her 5 large and 10 small crickets. Within seconds of me dumping them all in her house, she caught two large crickets. She chewed off the head of the first cricket, ate half of it, dumped it and started on her second. I look back a couple minutes later and she caught a third large cricket in her free hand.

I guess I should have just dumped in a couple crickets not 15 of them o_o Guess I'll go catch the extras, I don't want her to go blow up on crickets. D:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    From the judge looks like a male A female praying mantis is much more fatter and bigger

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If it can fly, it's a boy (at least I think).
    Insanity is a sane response to an insane world.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast