What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

A new kind of mantis I wanna get

• Thread starter swords
  • Start date
Ok, technically it's a Mantis shrimp but at, 16" and the raptor claws? Oh yes! :-O
24M0466-20-mantis-shrimp.jpg

Lysiosquillina maculata Zebra Mantis Shrimp

http://arthropoda.wordpress.com/2010/01/09/arthrophoto-lysiosquillina-maculata/

and:

http://www.bluezooaquatics.com/productDetail.asp?did=2&pid=1225&cid=84

I like the caveat on the second link:

"We recommend that you keep it in an acrylic tank, as a fully grown mantis shrimp has been noted of being able to shatter glass walls of most aquariums."

Lots of cool videos, even some handling videos! http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=mantis+shrimp&aq=f

If it can bust glass I'm not holding it! LOL

Last edited:
That's a big mantis..

I think there's a new boss in the undersea world. :-O

I saw a peacock mantis at the fish shop a while back they are so pretty with the iridescent purples and greens (trade color for size this one is smaller). But I will definitely take the advice of an acrylic tank if I ever do get one - nothing like coming home to find a foot long killer mantis shrimp on the loose! LOL

Wow that was absolutely fascinating watching the video done by the Biologist who researched those.

Thanks for that.

Lol... No that one is definitely not as cool.

they dont call them thumb splitters for nothing! have fun with your 1 inch thick acrylic glass tank.

Last edited:
Actually the Zebra Mantis is a "spearer" - it would be just as much fun!:D
I'd need to get a 48 x 24 x 24 acrylic tank or better for one that large, the herp shop has a pair of used tanks that size available for fish or reptiles. Hard to pass up getting at least one.

They look cool peeking out of their burrows, they have a small 2-3" peacock mantis at Petco in their coral Frag tank I love watching him. Like a real mantis Stomatopods are very inquisitive & brave I like that.

mantis shrimp are amazing overall...pistol shrimp too.

Jon, are you amphirion1 on nano-reef?

no....i do not have funds for nano reef. :cry: but if i did, i'd so go invert crazy!

I'm gonna do it au naturale with live rock/sandbed filtration and 10% weekly water changes, gonna modify an Aqua Clear power filter 110 into a hang on refugium full of reef rubble and macroalgae and a nice powerhead or two depending upon size tank I get, leaning towards 40 Breeder next time Petco has their $1 a gallon sale.

To cycle it I'm going to import 50lbs of premium uncured florida farmed live rock with all the critters and stuff on it and do my best to keep it all alive through the cycle with big water changes and see what develops on it/crawls out of it. Once it's cycled it's gonna be invert party time! :D

you think it wrong that i'd want to have an saltwater, ALGAE tank!? XD
with a couple of these:
sailors_sysball_valonia_ventricosa_IMG_4767-450x337.jpg

I'm getting a clean up crew as soon as the cycle finishes to keep most of that at bay.
Supposedly you don't want those popping underwater.

You could just get a 2.5 G desktop aquarium with built in LED and bubbler and get a couple chunks of Liverock from the fish shop and watch the algae and life develop would only cost like $50 all told.

you dont. popping them will release spores into the water = more eyeballs....unless you really want more.

you dont. popping them will release spores into the water = more eyeballs....unless you really want more.

I don't know.....They seem kinda cool.....what are they even?

Back