What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dead leaf mantis babies

• Thread starter larry
  • Start date
Oh glorious day, what a way to finish off the year. I woke up yesterday and found that my D. dessicata ooth hatched. I saw 2 nymphs, checked back several hours later and no more has hatched out, was a bit disappointed. Late that night, I check on them and wow, I count 24 nymphs! This is so awesome :)

IMG_8785.jpg

IMG_8788.jpg

YAY and they're all so cute!

Wow they're really developed for hatchlings my Violins are I don't know how old 2-3" tall and are just beginning to develop their shoulder pads.

Off topic how are your violins doing? I didn't see you post any pics of them yet that I can recall. I have a black & green male and a standard tan colored female. I had six to start with, not quite as communal as everyone says. LOL

Wow they're really developed for hatchlings my Violins are I don't know how old 2-3" tall and are just beginning to develop their shoulder pads.

Off topic how are your violins doing? I didn't see you post any pics of them yet that I can recall. I have a black & green male and a standard tan colored female. I had six to start with, not quite as communal as everyone says. LOL

Yeah, these little guys already got their "wings". They are huge, about the size of a large L2 Ghost mantis.

My violins are fine, getting bigger. They are finicky eaters. I don't feed them any flying bugs, mostly roaches, crickets and hydeis. The brown ones will starve themselves ignoring food that walks right past them. The black ones are better at catching food and so they look plump whereas the brown ones looks like they're starving. Here's a somewhat older picture of one of them, they're bigger now.

5140992340_06251089f1_b.jpg

Ha mine are just the opposite, the tan girl will take anything I hand her with the tongs. She is the likely assassin of all the others - I separated them once I noticed her stalking him. But the black one is a total wuss, he won't eat anything unless it's blue bottle flies (or moths). Loose crickets or handed on tongs, he just hops away or swats it out of the tongs. LOL

Oh, that is AWESOME! 'grats!

When i look at the 2nd pic, i can't help but visualize what i'd feel like if I were a WFF walking among that crowd (reminds me of the people in an alien movie)...:oops:

Congrats! Those are some CUTE little mantis babies!

I saw this thread and I automatically thought "How'd he kill his leaf mantis babies?" :lol: Great mantipeeps, that last pic looks like something from another planet!

Hey

I've Got Some Of Those
:)LOL:)

Mine are now L3, they looking very much like their mommy ;)

:drool: I've always wanted to get a mantis.. This would be the one I'd get. So cute, and vicious!

Back