User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: My pink-toed T HELP

Middle of the U.S. Approximate I know, but ask me if you want specific. : )
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

My pink-toed T HELP

I think my tarantula is sick. I bought it last October and it seems to have shrunk. I don't know if it's getting enough food. I feed it about 3 small crickets a week. I was looking up some pics online and I realized the container I keep it in is set up wrong so I'm going to set it up differently. Also, I can't seem to keep the humidity level above 50%. Any advice would be most welcomed.

Here's a pic about about the size it was last October. It's abdomen and midsections seem to be considerably smaller and I don't think it's molted ever. I'm concerned and need help. It' my first T.

Also, from the picture, upon the opionions of any experienced Avic Avic people; how old do you think it might be? Is it full grown? It doesn't seem to have tibial hooks.

~Thanks in advance, Becca.

https://sites.google.com/site/photom...e/wascana-lake

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Aww I hope it gets better for you. I dont own any t's never had, but i used to have an emperor scorp. I personally. I dont know what the problem is, but if you need to increase the humidity, that shouldnt be too hard depending on your set-up./ GL

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi Becca

It doesn't look to skinny / At least not about to die skinny

They are arboreal so it would prefer a tall tank to a long one, but I don't that would make that much of a differance

Maybe try standing your Kritter Keeper on it's side
    If you can, cut the big piece of bark that you have in it so that if fits flat against the back
    &
    Add a few inches of moist peat moss to the bottom of the tank & give it a good misting every now & again
    That'll help keep the humidity up

Maybe even add a plant or two

It doesn't look quite full grown / It should get a little bigger then that
    &
    Start feeding it large crickets instead of small ones / That might help put some weight on it
    A spider that size can easily take down a large cricket

http://www.petbugs.com/caresheets/A-avicularia.html

Good Luck With It
    DC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Males have smaller abs than females.. have you ever had him/her sexed?

I use a 10 gallon tank stood on it's end (made an acrylic door so I could access it) for my Metallica. Have coco fiber and LFS for the substrate and grapevines for the branches. Background is made from that spray foam stuff with coco fiber. With the coco fiber and LFS I have no problem with humidity.

---------- Post added at 04:43 AM ---------- Previous post was at 04:40 AM ----------

Lol.. for the abs I should have added that it's not a definitive way to sex a T... just in my experience the males tend to be a bit smaller in the ab area than the ladies!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi there, I have an Avic avic and she is pretty big now, I don't see her much anymore cos she built a little "cloud" and lives in there most of the time at the top of her 10 gallon vertical aquarium. Here's a pic of her home anyway:

I put a few adult crickets in at a time once or twice a week, I don't want her to get fat but don't want her to starve either. If I see crickets before I feed again I hold off.

does this rag smell like chloroform to you? boxofrain's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

not the prettiest site,

but, I used to put a large wet sponge in the tank with all new spider arrivals at the store for humidity. Travel is hell on them.
    Most would recover fine and a shallow dish with a little water and small sponge was enough to keep them happy.
    happy humidity
    "the memories of a man in his old age, are the deeds of a man in his prime"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It's hard to see in my pic but there is a "tree stump" shaped water bowl in the lower left hand corner Tarantulas do like to drink water so if you don't have a water bowl get one that she can fit over top of and get her "face" down into it.

Do not put a sponge or cotton wad or any thing like that in the water. Ts drink water straight from the bowl they don't suck it out of a sponge. A wet sponge is an invitation to disease and filthy conditions due to it's attractiveness to crickets, roaches and other animals put in as prey items. It's amazing how many pet shops and even professional sellers like LLL Reptile recommend putting a sponge in the water bowl. Just use pure clean water in a bowl smaller than the diameter of your spider.
    Last edited by swords; 01-22-2011 at 12:31 PM.

Middle of the U.S. Approximate I know, but ask me if you want specific. : )
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for the comments. I just want to clarify, the pic I posted is not current. It's the one from last October. The spider has shrunk since then. I would post a current pic but I can't find my camera. Anyways, I do appreciate the comments about feeding it adult crickets. They are so much easier to keep. The small ones are a nuisance and die with in a few days, whereas the bigger ones stay around for a few weeks as long as I feed keep fresh fruit in there.

Thanks. I have a 20 gallon tank I'm not using that I might try and set-up. I don't have a 10g, it's being used by my 6 red clouds. I'll figure something out. I know the spider doesn't have enough height or humidity and that's my fault...your comments helped. Hopefully I'll see some improvements here in the next few weeks. I'll update you on the progress.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast