What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Not a pet, but the guardian of the tool shed

• Thread starter chibae
  • Start date

chibae

An orchid fancier with a CP problem
Meet my itsy, bitsy tool shed guardian. He/She gets is a self feeder and asks for nothing but to hang on the inside of the door in peace.
IMG_2583.jpg

Last edited:
Reminds me of an old Jim Stafford song....

holy crap.. that's one heck of a wolf spider!

Actually the jury is still out on that. Exo and Kula say huntsmanspider and I say fishing spider.

eh'.. true spiders aren't my strong point. Could very well be a Huntsman species though.

Definitely a fishing spider, Dolomedes... looks like tenebrosus but I'm not familiar with the spiders of your area.

Looks very much like a common fishing spider we found in Venezuela, in regards to body type.
DSC00135.jpg

I would have said huntsman, but then again, looking at the way the legs are played, it is hard to tell. As a general rule, wolf spiders don't climb all that well, and will spend much of their time running about at ground level. Don't know if this helps or just complicates things.

There are no words for how terrifying this is to me.
Still.

I expect nightmares.

:spazz:

I'm starting to like spiders myself, but even I would probably find a corner to weep in if I saw that thing anywhere. O_O

Today's portrait
IMG_2602.jpg

Well I zoomed my original pics in up to 400% and the eyes are definitly not those of a wolf spider. Huntsman spiders bend their front legs at an angle that this one doesn't when it moves. Also huntsman tend to live further south than the mid-atlantic US coast. I'm still voting for Fishing spider myself.
We've had large hairy spiders living in the shed for many years. We don't distrub them and in return they help keep the scourge of camel crickets down.

---------- Post added at 08:13 AM ---------- Previous post was at 08:08 AM ----------

Definitely a fishing spider, Dolomedes... looks like tenebrosus but I'm not familiar with the spiders of your area.

And the winner is..Physalaemus :D

Found this while researching
"The species Dolomedes tenebrosus is more frequently associated with wooded areas (it would be more accurately classified as a tree-dwelling spider) and is a common household invader in these locations. It occurs from New England and Can ada south to Florida and Texas."
And the images on line are a verrrry close match.

Last edited:
idk chibae, it might help to cast some Detect Magic here, just to be sure...

gallery_6079_406_90592.jpg

That thing has a mana bar. Run, yall!

:spazz:

(this is an homage to a rather popular one floating around the internet, which wouldn't be appropriate to post here hehe)

Back