User Tag List

Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 9 to 16 of 18

Thread: Getting Tarantula...One Problem

  1. #9
    Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Location
    Los Angeles, CA
    Posts
    7,506
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Natalie View Post
    Coming from someone who used to be in the same situation years ago... Just don't tell her, that's what I did with all my snakes when I was teenager. Then when my mom finally did find out about them, I told her I'd had them for years and she never noticed, and she didn't really care anymore. Tarantulas are even easier to hide than snakes - most species can be kept in a plastic shoebox or 2.5 gallon tank, and that can be kept under your bed since they don't need light. Depends which species it is, but the care of most common tarantulas is incredibly easy.

    I realize my answer is different from most other people's, but that's how I feel about situations that involve irrational fear and hatred of harmless animals. If I hadn't spent so much time keeping and studying reptiles when I was younger, I probably wouldn't be going to school for biology like I am now. What mama don't know won't hurt her.
    Let's hope when you have kids there aren't irresponsible adults around to advise them to go behind your back.
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

  2. #10
    Natalie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Let's hope when I have kids there aren't irresponsible adults around to stifle my children's interest in biology.

  3. #11
    ALGEBRAIC! Crofthulhu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Emerald City, currently free of flying monkeys.
    Posts
    206
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Natalie View Post
    Coming from someone who used to be in the same situation years ago... Just don't tell her, that's what I did with all my snakes when I was teenager. Then when my mom finally did find out about them, I told her I'd had them for years and she never noticed, and she didn't really care anymore. Tarantulas are even easier to hide than snakes - most species can be kept in a plastic shoebox or 2.5 gallon tank, and that can be kept under your bed since they don't need light. Depends which species it is, but the care of most common tarantulas is incredibly easy.

    I realize my answer is different from most other people's, but that's how I feel about situations that involve irrational fear and hatred of harmless animals. If I hadn't spent so much time keeping and studying reptiles when I was younger, I probably wouldn't be going to school for biology like I am now. What mama don't know won't hurt her.
    Not everyone's parents will react the same as yours, and that was a complete lack of respect on your part for your parents. I would not recommend this unless you know your parents would react that well, as most parents I know greatly value honesty and respect.


    Quote Originally Posted by Natalie View Post
    Let's hope when I have kids there aren't irresponsible adults around to stifle my children's interest in biology.
    Your kid doesn't have to own a spider to in order to maintain his/her interest in Biology.
    Last edited by Crofthulhu; 11-03-2011 at 02:10 PM.

  4. #12
    Natalie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Location
    San Francisco Bay Area
    Posts
    295
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Crofthulhu View Post
    Your kid doesn't have to own a spider to in order to maintain his/her interest in Biology.
    Could be anything, really, not just a spider. Say there was a adolescent who was interested in becoming a writer and wanted to read all of history's great literary works, and they had a neighbor who was willing to give that kid an old copy of Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. The kid's mom thought Lord of the Rings was scary, and told the kid they weren't allowed to read it. I would tell that kid the same thing - get the book and hide it under your bed, or at least go read it in the library. I take knowledge and education very seriously, and nothing should come between a child and their desire to learn, whether it be biology, literature, astrophysics, etc. Sometimes, maybe even a lot of the time in some cases, parents are wrong.

    And that's all I have to say about that.

  5. #13
    ALGEBRAIC! Crofthulhu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Emerald City, currently free of flying monkeys.
    Posts
    206
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Natalie View Post
    Could be anything, really, not just a spider. Say there was a adolescent who was interested in becoming a writer and wanted to read all of history's great literary works, and they had a neighbor who was willing to give that kid an old copy of Tolkien's Lord of the Rings. The kid's mom thought Lord of the Rings was scary, and told the kid they weren't allowed to read it. I would tell that kid the same thing - get the book and hide it under your bed, or at least go read it in the library. I take knowledge and education very seriously, and nothing should come between a child and their desire to learn, whether it be biology, literature, astrophysics, etc. Sometimes, maybe even a lot of the time in some cases, parents are wrong.

    And that's all I have to say about that.
    It's a book, not a large living spider.

    That's all I have to say about that.

  6. #14
    Eats genetically engineered tomatoes Sig's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Location
    Michigan -- If you donít like the weather, blink!
    Posts
    900
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mass View Post
    Parents can be tough. Their "fear" is next to impossible to overcome.

    Try to comfort her with these facts:
    *There is no such thing as a deadly "tarantula".
    *The are no recorded human deaths in the entire world from a "tarantula" bite.
    - Tarantulas (theraphosids) are not spiders. Spiders (theraphosidae) can kill you.
    I had to use the first two to get my rosy, but I'm pretty sure Ts are still spiders (not that it changes the first two...)

    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    Let's hope when you have kids there aren't irresponsible adults around to advise them to go behind your back.
    Quote Originally Posted by Natalie View Post
    Let's hope when I have kids there aren't irresponsible adults around to stifle my children's interest in biology.
    ...Yeah, I'm gonna have to agree with Natalie on this one. Going behind your parent's backs is just a part of life sometimes, and while it's not recommended, I've gotten lots of valuable life experience from it. Example, my interest in chemistry? Started when I made thermite without my parents knowing. Mechanics? Lockpicking. If we're talking about being "irresponsible", it's worse to irrationally crush someone's dreams than to sneak around that irrationality.

    My personal recommendation though, it to just keep asking your parents about it. Really, that's just the easiest and safest way for something like this.
    Formerly known as Silenceisgod!

  7. #15
    Doomsday's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    Posts
    562
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    If they are afraid, its easier to get them to lose most of their fear, but if they are just disgusted of them then itll be a pain in the butt since they're is no reason for it that you can counter with facts and logic.. And tbh... A giant spider as most people see tarantulas, isnt something that you just WANT in your house 99.999% of the time

  8. #16
    ALGEBRAIC! Crofthulhu's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    Emerald City, currently free of flying monkeys.
    Posts
    206
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Whatever you decide to do, Heli, be considerate of your parent(s); try to understand where they are coming from. Think about the reaction they could have if you do decide to keep it behind their back, and even the consequences; do you have a good relationship with your mom? Keeping something like this from a parent will often times make them become more suspicious of your actions once found out, despite your intentions. Remember that your parents provide for you and keep a roof over your head, so be respectful of their decisions; unless you have a job, they are the ones who will ultimately be paying for this pet.


    Edit: I like doomsdays post below mine. I wasn't allowed to keep a spider until I could pay for it so I would play with the spiders around the house and put them all in my room. I'd tell my mom not to sweep the webs in the corners of my bedroom.. haha.
    Last edited by Crofthulhu; 11-03-2011 at 02:48 PM.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •