Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Getting Tarantula...One Problem

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Getting Tarantula...One Problem

Ok, so my neighbor has a Tarantula, not sure on the species, but it's supposedly an easy one, that is pretty common. I'd loooovvveeeeee to have it, but there's a problem...my mom HATES them!

Any ideas? I've tried just about everything I can think of... I even offered to keep it in 5 cages, all with padlocks on them, but still no.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Parents can be tough. Their "fear" is next to impossible to overcome.

Try to comfort her with these facts:
    *There is no such thing as a deadly "tarantula".
    *The are no recorded human deaths in the entire world from a "tarantula" bite.
    - Tarantulas (theraphosids) are not spiders. Spiders (theraphosidae) can kill you.

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Get a job and move out.
    or
    Get a divorce from your parents.
    or
    Take a deep breath and realize you can't always get what you want

http://youtu.be/8zgAWHRJC1Y
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    haha. I like his answer better.

Emerald City, currently free of flying monkeys.
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Unfortunately, the only thing you can really do is educate your parents as much as humanely possible and hope they warm up to the idea. You do have to understand your parents side of the argument though; they can just be plain scared of it, and having it in the house can surely affect their mood, and even sleep. I don't know about you, but I dun like when my parents are cranky lol.

You can't always get what you want
    But if you try sometimes you might find
    You get what you need

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had one for many many years.... her name was Martha.

I could set books on top her terrarium and somehow that thing could move them and still excape. (she was massive, dont know what species she was, but her fangs were hugeeeeeeeee)

When she would escape I would usually find her buried in the bed or clothes somewhere, she would try to find somewhere dark and humid as possible.

Once I looked for her, couldnt find her... gave up and went to school. Come back home that night and still didnt find her only to discover she was about 3 inches below the light switch I had turned on when I entered the room.

Glad she didnt pounce on my finger with those fangs.

Ended up eventually giving her away and she lived another few years... she had to been very old.

I enjoyed having her, but sort of boring after the cool factor wore off.

It was fun watching her pounce on crickets.... she was a little pig when it came to feeding time.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Coming from someone who used to be in the same situation years ago... Just don't tell her, that's what I did with all my snakes when I was teenager. Then when my mom finally did find out about them, I told her I'd had them for years and she never noticed, and she didn't really care anymore. Tarantulas are even easier to hide than snakes - most species can be kept in a plastic shoebox or 2.5 gallon tank, and that can be kept under your bed since they don't need light. Depends which species it is, but the care of most common tarantulas is incredibly easy.

I realize my answer is different from most other people's, but that's how I feel about situations that involve irrational fear and hatred of harmless animals. If I hadn't spent so much time keeping and studying reptiles when I was younger, I probably wouldn't be going to school for biology like I am now. What mama don't know won't hurt her.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I would honestly play it safe and just keep working on her.
    It took me over a year of daily "Did you knows" and flat-out begging and up-and-down promises to get a ball python, but eventually, my parents caved.

Or Natalie's answer might work out too if your mother isn't a snoop and isn't the sort to freak out and kick you out. My dad is very seriously the type. Cause I was given the ultimatum to get rid of the snake or gtfo when he found out I had a rescue that was in the process of being rehomed.

Just whatever you do, make sure it's best and safest for you and the animal, even if it's not what you'd prefer.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast