Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Web of Life

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scottychaos, that is a very interesting story...thanks for sharing that.

RL7836, i admit to not really knowing my spider species all too well, but i wouldn't be too pleased to find out that i had been inadvertantly breeding out and spreading brown recluse spiders in our house, and neither would my wife!

Last night, using the camera's flash, i was able to capture a couple of spiders on my tomato plant reacting well to an offering of D. hydei flightless fruit flies.

This orb weaver took the fly in the centre of its web, but probably because i was hovering overhead flashing pics, it quickly took it's prey and scurried over to the far edge of its web.

I was surprised at how quickly this spider was able to gnash its way through the fly's head as evidenced by the ever widening spacing of the fly's eyes, seemingly as fast and furious as any ravenous half-crazed zombie overdosed on bath salts.

Maybe macabre to us, but any debate over what twisted spin of the karmic wheel fated the spider with this incarnation is probably best left for humans to idly speculate over, because the spider efficiently goes about its business, without guilt, without hesitation and without remorse.

This next pic is interesting because it nicely highlights the front leg joints of this spider, eerily similar to some visage of a dark spectre's bony digit grimly beckoning the nearly departed to lift the veil and cross to the other side...

To end this session on a cheerier note, how about this ambitious little mighty mite of a spider quite willing and able take on and take down prey its own size.

I kinda feel obliged to applaud this little spider's effort and tenacity here.

dvg
    Last edited by dvg; 06-22-2012 at 10:59 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The little mighty mite spider has grown some.

Despite some colorful markings,

i'm still not decided on if this little spider is creepy or a cutie...

Later on, embracing a hapless fruit fly.

dvg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A couple orb weavers that caught my eye one day:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Very nice! They look like M & M's lol

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Somehow I don't think they're chocolate filled

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by RL7836 View Post
    I've never been a fan of spiders but have learned to appreciate them over the past 10 years or so. However, I tend to prefer species that I know aren't particularly harmful (jumping spiders, garden spiders, etc). The ones in your pic look too close to brown recluse for me...
    I had a closer look into the matter of brown recluse spiders and they are quite uncommon in our area.

These spiders are probably domestic house spiders/barn funnel spiders aka Tegenaria domestica, which are much more common around here.

Yesterday i noticed two male spiders in close proximity to the female and figured she must be releasing some spider sex pheromones.

This morning there was a shiny new egg sack just a couple of inches away from her funnel lair.

It seems she had abandoned her lair and was guarding the egg sack.

And the male spider was on the opposite side of the webbing...not quite sure what happened to the other male.

Ahhhhh....just can't wait to hear the pitter patter of those little spiderling's tiny feet racing across the basement floor, living life on the edge, weaving in and out of pots of carnivorous plants.

dvg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Little miss Sunshine seems to be very popular on the social spider web networks these days and has proven to be a pretty good layer - posting up these two baby bumps within the last 21 days.

Having read that females of this species can live up to seven years, all i gotta say to that is "You Go Girl!"

dvg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Great photos!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast