What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Web of Life

I had posted a pic of this spider earlier in this thread.

IMG_2696-spider.jpg

I hadn't seen her in a while so i suspected a bird may have eaten her.

Yesterday i spotted her again and today i took some pics.

IMG_0291-spearhead-spider-August-21-2012.jpg

IMG_0305-spearhead-spider-August-21-2012.jpg

And she has dozens of baby spiderlings!!!

IMG_0317-spearhead-spiderlings-August-21-2012.jpg

These are about the size of a grain of salt.

dvg

I've been curious as to why this spider has these particular markings on her back and now i think i know the reason...for camouflage purposes.

IMG_0800-leaf-back-spider-Sept-6-2012.jpg

She hides a good portion of the day behind a netting of dead, dried leaf remants and with her white body on the house's white flashing she becomes quite inconspicuous indeed.

IMG_0798-leaf-back-spider-Sept-6-2012.jpg

She is very docile and allows me to get the camera lens right up into her face...in fact, i've never seen her move.

dvg

She's definitely not starving. :lol:

While jumpers are probably my favorites, I've been watching several of the 'web-hangers' outside the house doing their thing. Definitely get some sadistic pleasure watching them empty the juices out of stinkbug army minions. :hail:

She's definitely not starving. :lol:

While jumpers are probably my favorites, I've been watching several of the 'web-hangers' outside the house doing their thing. Definitely get some sadistic pleasure watching them empty the juices out of stinkbug army minions. :hail:

Haha, i have to agree she does appear to be very well fed.

We have at least a couple species of jumping spiders here, but i haven't come across any of them this summer.

dvg

Interesting arachnid there dvg. Here's one I saw and photographed while in Colombia, they are quite common in the town.

Incase it is difficult to distinguish, these are primarily forest green with silver and white markings, not sure what species this is at all.

DSC03513.jpg

DSC03514.jpg

Thanks for adding your spider pic Daniel. :)

.......................................................................................................................

Here's a rare side shot of her.

IMG_1013-dried-leaf-spider-Sept-8-2012.jpg

Whooosh a good girl?

IMG_1009-dried-leaf-spider-Sept-8-2012.jpg

Who wants her belly rubbed? :D

dvg

Back