Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Web of Life

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Web of Life

I've been feeding a feral female spider (some type of species which makes a funnel type web) over that last couple of months.

She has gotten larger from the flightless fruit flies i have been supplying her with each day.

Over the past few days i have noticed that a male has come knocking, maybe trying to court little Miss Sunshine.

Here is a pic of the female (on top) and her male suitor.

And here is another pic...i'm only showing it because i noticed there was an ant in the upper left corner.

For those that aren't fans of spiders, these seem to be quite shy and unassuming, unlike the aggressive new species of spider/tarantula that is killing people in India.

http://www.examiner.com/article/spid...leaving-2-dead

dvg

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    OMG why did I click that link

I had a pet wolf-spider once (at least I think that's what it was..house-spider in Vermont). It shed its exoskeleton once and I nearly fainted from thinking I now had two spiders to keep track of . Your spiders seem similar to what I had.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by thez_yo View Post
    OMG why did I click that link

I had a pet wolf-spider once (at least I think that's what it was..house-spider in Vermont). It shed its exoskeleton once and I nearly fainted from thinking I now had two spiders to keep track of . Your spiders seem similar to what I had.
    Haha Thez...i think you are safe for now.

SD is a long ways from India.

dvg

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The above spider shots were of inhabitants in my basement.

Here are a few shots of a spider that i have been feeding that lives right outside of our garage door.

This spider likes to come out and sun itself once the sun swings around in the late afternoon.

It has brown banded markings on its legs and a brown patch on its back that resembles a spearhead.

Today i fed it some D. melanogaster flightless fruit flies.

dvg
    Last edited by dvg; 06-22-2012 at 10:43 AM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a cool spider story..
    when I was a teenager, about 14 or 15, I discovered some type of "orb weaver" in my Mom's garden..
    it was similar to this:

BIG spider!
    I thought she was totally cool..my Mom was fighting the Japanese beetles on her roses,
    so I thought I would try feeding the spider some beetles..
    I tossed one into the web..the spider *immediately* ran down to it, stung it, and quickly wrapped it up..
    then went back to the center of the web.."saving it for later" I thought..

So I tried another one! same thing..now there were two wrapped-up beetles in the web..
    Third beetle..same thing..
    ok, one more..fourth beetle..this time was different!

The spider ran down to it..seemed to consider it for a moment..
    then, over the course of probably 15 minutes, as I watched, the spider very meticulously *cut the beetle out* of its web!
    at one point, while the beetle was being freed, it was actually crawling on the back of the spider!
    the spider cut the beetle loose, and let it fall to the ground..
    She had enough food, she didn't need anymore..
    that beetle was probably unaware how lucky it was that day..

Scot

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dvg View Post
    For those that aren't fans of spiders, these seem to be quite shy and unassuming....
    I've never been a fan of spiders but have learned to appreciate them over the past 10 years or so. However, I tend to prefer species that I know aren't particularly harmful (jumping spiders, garden spiders, etc). The ones in your pic look too close to brown recluse for me...
    All the best,
    Ron
    You must do the thing you think you cannot do. --- Eleanor Roosevelt

*** Growlist / Wants / Offers ***
    (with Pics)

Formerly known as Pineapple Nepenthesis's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I found a big brown spider that was about 1" around its body. It was pretty cool and remarkable how these creatures weave webs. I read that spider webs are to bugs as steel is to humans, or something similar. Possibly even a bit stronger, the spider webs. I also found a sizable black widow on a few different occasions, most recently a few weeks ago. Very beautiful markings. They all went to a good cause, if you know what I mean.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Scot, that is an interesting story. Around here we call those "bananna spiders". I have fed them practically my whole life and never observed that behaviour. I suppose I never fed them that much. I'll have to try it this year.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast