Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Free OBT. Should I take it?

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lance View Post
    Good luck!! Wow mass, those pics are very convincing! Do the terrariums have to be 20-40 gallons or can they be simple 1' X 1' X 1' plexi boxes? I have a few of those with mesh tops that I'd love to put to use. What do you feed them? Does the food cost a lot or is it obtainable by the truckload so to speak?
    a 20gal. can work for any kind or size of tarantula.
    The females don't really move around too much. Just the area immediately surrounding her burrow/hide.
    Males constantly wander looking to mate. It's all they live for. Mate when mature, die shortly (or immediately) after.
    So males are kept in small containers. Restricting their energy use. That way when they meet the female, they have energy to burn. *giggity*

Tarantulas are fed crickets and/or roaches.
    Cheap, readily available at any petshop.
    Don't use wild caught food. You never know what kind of chemicals they carry.

Quote Originally Posted by Wire Man View Post
    Okay, not getting the OBT anymore. It was a male and matured really fast, so I'm getting a Lasiodora parahybana instead! I'm actually more excited for this one.
    ah... good ol' parahybana (Brazilian Salmon). They actually rival the Goliath for largest tarantula on Earth.
    Females can easily reach 10"-11"+.
    Be prepared for an aggressive, always hungry, readily flicking BEAST!! And watch your fingers, they are fast fast FAST! Teleporters..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    mass, have you ever fed a mouse or rat to a larger spider like that??

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I am not at all a spider fan but that is very impressive mass!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That's why I'm so excited for this one, the size! Wait, I thought these would be slow just because they're so large! Guess I need to start work on that chainmaille glove sooner than expected, just incase it gets over ambitious. Lucky I know some people who work with raptors, so I might be able to get a falconer's glove.

I actually like display pets. Nothing beats having a nicely setup terrarium with an awe inspiring animal living in it. Luckily this is a bold species that stays out in the open, so it should make an incredible display. I'm planning on a few low light plants and maybe some miniature orchids, with a terraced substrate to make the hide look like a hillside home. I'm also preparing myself for the food needs of this living black hole.

And two questions for you, Travis. What size enclosure will I need, and how often should I feed it pinkies or fuzzies, if ever? I'm planning on a staple of large crickets and roaches.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    A 20 gallon will work fine. You can go with something bigger if you like, but it'll mostly be just for display. They tend to stick to the safety of their burrow.
    Tarantulas are also nocturnal. So they really only wander out at night.
    If your T is wandering the tank endlessly during the daytime, then something is wrong. Usually has to do with an inadequate hide.

You can feed it a pinkie once a month. Not too many too quickly though. Vertebrates are high in calcium, which can actually harm a tarantula. Too much calcium can cause things like fang deformities and dangerous molting issues.
    L. parahybana does have a juicy appetite though. So feed it about 6 crickets every Friday, with a pinkie substitute every 3-4 weeks.

I did find a pic of my female L. parahybana when she was just a juvenile.
    Her eggsac held over 500 slings.

Quote Originally Posted by Kinjie View Post
    I am not at all a spider fan but that is very impressive mass!
    Actually.. tarantulas aren't spiders.
    Yes they have 8 legs, but so do fleas, ticks, and scorpions.
    Tarantulas are theraphosids, spiders are theraphosidae.
    So one is a "tarantula", the others are called "true spiders".
    I don't do true spiders either. I like the large ones so I know where they are at all times!

p.S.. There's no such thing as a deadly tarantula.
    As far as I know, there are no recorded human deaths from a tarantula bite.
    Only spider bite fatalities have been documented.
    But I've been out of the loop for awhile, so that may have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by mylesG View Post
    mass, have you ever fed a mouse or rat to a larger spider like that??
    Me!?!?! What? pssh.. never!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    could someone correct me on this?

i thought organisms belonging to a family ending in "-idae" could be called an "-id", or "ids"

for example, with fish, any organism that is found in the family "Cichlidae" may be called a "cichlid"
    another using insects, any organism that is found in the family "Papilionidae" may be called a "papilionid"

following this logic (because systematics are, well, systematic) it would stand to reason that any organism found in the family "Theraphosidae" may be called a "theraphosid".
    all tarantulas are theraphosphids because they belong to the family theraphosidae. (redundant i know)

hope that clears the air.
    then again, what the derp does a guy with a degree in marine ecology and biodiversity know about spiders....

beautiful Tarantula, love the iridescent green on the toes.
    Last edited by amphirion; 07-20-2012 at 03:52 PM.
    " You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means." -Inigo Montoya
    +growlist
    +petiolaris drosera going dormant?
    +picture thread

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That goliath is impressive! I've read all about calcium issues, so I'm very aware of the problems that can occur. 20 gallons sounds very reasonable.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by amphirion View Post
    hope that clears the air.
    then again, what the derp does a guy with a degree in marine ecology and biodiversity know about spiders....

beautiful Tarantula, love the iridescent green on the toes.
    What the hell is a derp?
    Can't find that in any of my books.

Guess you're more "qualified" to answer all of these questions then.
    Wouldn't want to fog the air with my experience.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast