Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: photo of a predaceous diving beetle

Class 5 Nepenthes hoarder lance's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Woah crazy cool pic!! Looks like its got a bubble around it to allow for air.

In addition to growing plants, I design and build RC planes powered by Tesla batteries. Check out my progress at www.chargedplanes.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lance View Post
    Woah crazy cool pic!! Looks like its got a bubble around it to allow for air.
    Thanks! That's exactly right...the bubble provides oxygen while it dives.

Cheers,
    EC
    www.macrocritters.wordpress.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Amazing photo! I love how you showed how you took it - sometimes it's really frustrating when I don't understand how a pic is taken.

I subscribed yesterday/this morning.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by kulamauiman View Post
    pic here illustrates the spine
    http://thingsbiological.wordpress.co...hydrophilidae/

maybe this guy?
    Tropisternus collaris (Fabricius) - Tropisternus collaris
    http://bugguide.net/node/view/416372

However I do not see clubbed antenna so am now guessing again. Clubbed antenna are another diagnostic character for this group...

but I dunno squat about mainland beetles. All new things for me to learn about. Odd thing about this family of beetles in Hawaii is we apparently have a few that are terrestrial just to mess up the minds of general entomology students......

Just wish the many people wanting me to do quick ids of their insects could post such high quality, clear pictures. Most I have gotten are blobs with legs or antenna sticking out of them. I can probably do an count of antennal segments on the ant pics on your web site.
    The spine is certainly prominent on that species isnít it? But is it characteristic of all genera within the Hydrophilini? Or the Hydrophilinae? I really donít know at what taxonomic level I should be looking at...

Thanks again for the comment about the photos! Iím glad it isnít just me struggling with this! I donít think it is Tropisternus collaris...at least not if the distinctive markings are diagnostic. I have searched and havenít found any photos of diving beetles with those markings. When I was looking at I thought maybe it was Coptotomus which is common in Canada and has variable markings: http://bugguide.net/node/view/58028

So what exactly do you do that people send you pictures of insects?

Cheers,
    EC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Devon View Post
    Amazing photo! I love how you showed how you took it - sometimes it's really frustrating when I don't understand how a pic is taken.

Thank you very much! I really appreciate it! I always feel the same way and really like it when someone explains their technique, so that is the format I am trying to follow with my blog. The great thing is that writing the blog has me really thinking of new things to try...

Cheers,
    EC

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Devon View Post

By the way...I see you live in Ottawa...lots of great insects on Southern Ontario!

Cheers,
    EC

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    the spine was more or less definitive for most of the family. I think at the sub family level there were one group that didn't have it (the exceptions to the rule that made me hate taxonomists).

i tell people I am more or less the entomologist that hates identification of insects, I like plants better. For work I am dealing with detecting new insect pests (agricultural pests so weeds, plant diseases, etc) on Maui, Molokai and Lanai... So people ask for ids and make really general descriptions or send me pics of blobs or bring me something that has been squished or cooked to death in the car that no longer even looks like an insect

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12