What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tiny ghost crabs on a Mexican beach (pics)

These neat little ghost crabs (Ocypode sp.) were common on the beach outside my hotel in Los Cabos, Mexico. A big one would have a carapace that wasn’t much more than six or seven millimetres across. They were amazingly fast and as you can see from these photos, they were extremely well camouflaged against the sand. They dig burrows in the sand to hide in. But if their burrow wasn’t close enough when they felt threatened they would dash away and then suddenly freeze and seemingly disappear.

I spent a great couple of hours squirming across the sand on my belly trying to get close enough to take some good photos. It was really too much fun!

I posted these photos and a number of others on my blog today.

Cheers,
EC
www.macrocritters.wordpress.com

ghost crab 12 copyright Ernie Cooper 2012_filtered by ernie.cooper, on Flickr
ghost crab 5 copyright Ernie Cooper 2012 closer_filtered by ernie.cooper, on Flickr

Cool photos,thanks for sharing!

Thats amazing, I love their giant eyes! ;)

These things are fun to catch, if you can get them to freeze long enough to grab by the back of the shell. :D

Awesome!

I have some vampire crabs in a vivarium (Geosessarma sp. 'sulawesi red') and it's crazy how fast these little guys are, and how nimble. Mine are jungle crabs and they like to live arboreally on twigs and high up in the background of the vivarium.

great photos ,if anyone has not looked at your blog they should,love the moth with the nectar droplets

Awesome!

I have some vampire crabs in a vivarium (Geosessarma sp. 'sulawesi red') and it's crazy how fast these little guys are, and how nimble. Mine are jungle crabs and they like to live arboreally on twigs and high up in the background of the vivarium.

I've been thinking about getting some of those...can you give some details about their care?

Cheers,
EC
www.macrocritters.wordpress.com

Back