Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stacked macro photograph of a fruit fly

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I want to try eyepiece projection macro photography too. I have several 0.96 inch telescope eyepieces. I've found a T adapter tube for 0.96" eyepieces with T threads on both ends. I can get a "Russian Telescope Camera" adapter (m42 to T-thread) so I can mount M42 lenses onto the eyepiece adapter. I may be able to use the ultra cheap M42 extension tubes I bought - the threads are in-between M42 and T thread standards. The male won't thread into a bona-fide m42 female thread but fits ok into female T thread. The female side of the extension tubes will take a bona-fide M42 lens though.

You get a lot more lens to subject distance using eyepiece projection - making lighting easier.

http://www.gyes.eu/photo/x-macro.htm
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Fantastic shot, Ernie. Do you ever contribute your images to BugGuide.net? Having photographs of key features used in the identification of insects to the species level (when possible) is incredibly useful on there, especially among the dipterans where the difference between two species can be something as slight as the arrangement of the buccal setae.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    You use Olympus, too?!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I seen some microscope objectives setups when I was looking into macro photography recently. This is the most basic I have seen, just some extension tubes and the objective fitted into a lens cap!: http://www.fredmiranda.com/forum/topic/847947

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    I want to try eyepiece projection macro photography too. I have several 0.96 inch telescope eyepieces. I've found a T adapter tube for 0.96" eyepieces with T threads on both ends. I can get a "Russian Telescope Camera" adapter (m42 to T-thread) so I can mount M42 lenses onto the eyepiece adapter. I may be able to use the ultra cheap M42 extension tubes I bought - the threads are in-between M42 and T thread standards. The male won't thread into a bona-fide m42 female thread but fits ok into female T thread. The female side of the extension tubes will take a bona-fide M42 lens though.

You get a lot more lens to subject distance using eyepiece projection - making lighting easier.

http://www.gyes.eu/photo/x-macro.htm

Thanks for this. He certainly is getting a lot of working distance with that set-up. But the resolution of his photos isn't great. I wonder if it is due to limitations of the equipment or his technique?

EC
    www.macrocritters.wordpress.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Natalie View Post
    Fantastic shot, Ernie. Do you ever contribute your images to BugGuide.net? Having photographs of key features used in the identification of insects to the species level (when possible) is incredibly useful on there, especially among the dipterans where the difference between two species can be something as slight as the arrangement of the buccal setae.
    Yes, I have contributed a few, mainly when I am asking for help in identification. To be honest it didn't occur to me to upload additional pics. But it is a very good idea! That site is a great resource!

EC
    www.macrocritters.wordpress.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Wire Man View Post
    You use Olympus, too?!
    Yes I do! I use an e-620 with a e-500 in reserve. You?

EC

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12