Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Stacked macro photograph of a fruit fly

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Stacked macro photograph of a fruit fly

Almost exactly a month ago I posted a photo of a sow bug (order Isopoda) on my blog that I created from a stack of 57 separate images. But I was really unsatisfied with the photo and decided it was time to invest in more equipment. I ordered a 4X microscope objective off Ebay and started building a precision focusing rail out of a Zeiss Microscope Focus Arm.

The focusing rail is now functional. The trickiest thing was figuring out how to provide soft, even lighting to a tiny specimen positioned only 14mm from the front of the lens while simultaneously avoiding lens flare. I also needed to find a suitably photogenic subject. Given that it was snowing on the day I took the photo below, a trip to the garden to look for tiny insects wasn’t an option!

I had an epiphany yesterday morning while eating a small tub of yogurt and a banana. I finished the yogurt and realized that it was made from thin white plastic and was the perfect size and shape to fit over both the microscope lens and a specimen. All I had to do was to cut a hole in the bottom to insert the subject. Meanwhile a couple of fruit flies started to buzz around my banana...”aha” I thought, “my specimens have arrived!”

Below is one of the photos resulting from a meeting of yogurt container and fruit fly.

Cheers,
    EC www.macrocritters.wordpress.com

fruitfly 1 edit copyright ernie cooper 2012 crop 3_filtered by ernie.cooper, on Flickr

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    incredible detail!

Hello, I must be going... Not a Number's Avatar
    Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I was curious as to how you mounted the microscope objective but it appears Olympus had a adapter for the RMS mount. It appears that a vendor in Italy makes adapters for the different camera mounts. And there is a vendor in the UK that makes an RMS to T-mount insert which is probably the way to go.

This webpage may be of interest to you if you haven't seen it already:
    http://www.alanwood.net/photography/index.html
    Grand Hotel... always the same. People come, people go. Nothing ever happens.

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite! DragonsEye's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    That is an astounding picture! One of these days I will have to give stacking a try. I understand there are some free online programs to aid in the endeavor.

Be interested to see a picture of your set up just to make sure I am correctly envisioning what you said.

"Blessed are the cracked….
    For they are the ones who let in the light."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Both terrifying and delightful. Kudos!

Admin- I'm growing CPs in the Desert of Tucson, Az. adnedarn's Avatar
    Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    1 Thread(s)
    Very nice work!
    -Andrew
    Owner of TerraForums, FlyTrapShop.com, and cpforums.org.
    Support FlyTrapShop, support TerraForums! www.flytrapshop.com

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Not a Number View Post
    I was curious as to how you mounted the microscope objective but it appears Olympus had a adapter for the RMS mount. It appears that a vendor in Italy makes adapters for the different camera mounts. And there is a vendor in the UK that makes an RMS to T-mount insert which is probably the way to go.

This webpage may be of interest to you if you haven't seen it already:
    http://www.alanwood.net/photography/index.html
    I was lucky enough to find one of the original Olympus adapters, still new in the package, for cheap last summer. Otherwise I would have done as you suggested: used a RMS to T2 adapter matched with a T2 to Olympus adapter.

Cheers,
    EC

Mentioned
    6 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    amazing..... natgeo level good imho

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast