What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Baby (Brachypelma tarantula) got a brand new coat

I bought this spider specifically to photograph, but it is also an interesting critter. I chose this species because they are easy to keep in captivity; they are very pretty; and they are docile. I do a lot of my photography on the kitchen table and didn’t want something that would take off and disappear under the fridge the moment I picked-up my camera! Besides, since buying this spider we added two young cats to the household—they would love a young tarantula to play with. Mind you, the cats may have solved the other problem: they keep chasing their toys under the fridge. There might not be room for a tarantula under there anymore.

The spider is about three inches across. When I first got it its colours were drab and some of the urticating hairs on its abdomen were rubbed-off. I didn’t want to photograph the little beast until it moulted and had a nice bright new and complete skin.

Cheers,
EC
www.macrocritters.wordpress.com.

brachypelma copyright ernie cooper 2012_filtered by ernie.cooper, on Flickr

brachypelma w skin copyright ernie cooper 2012_filtered by ernie.cooper, on Flickr

Last edited:
Lovely creature. Only downside to smithii is that the majority are major hair flickers. Had one about 5 years ago that was an absolute sweetheart -- never flicked. But unfortunately it died due to carelessness on my part. Got a new one a couple years back Unfortunately this one has the typically smithii tendency to go into a major hair flicking fit at the slightest disturbance. Be nice if she'd grow out of it, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

That's so cool! The colors are so distinct. They're cute little guys. :eek:

Lovely creature. Only downside to smithii is that the majority are major hair flickers. Had one about 5 years ago that was an absolute sweetheart -- never flicked. But unfortunately it died due to carelessness on my part. Got a new one a couple years back Unfortunately this one has the typically smithii tendency to go into a major hair flicking fit at the slightest disturbance. Be nice if she'd grow out of it, but I'm not going to hold my breath.

I've had quite a few tarantulas over the years, but this is the first Brachypelma I have owned. Its a great little spider, and amazingly calm. When I took it out to photograph it didn't flick at all. I guess I lucked out!

Cheers,
EC
www.macrocritters.wordpress.com

Cheers,

EC

www.macrocritters.wordpress.com

Very nice! I have two of these, one that is about the size of yours, and one nearly the size of my hand, and they too are very calm and laid back, never had an issues with hair flicking either.

I've owned the entire Brachypelma family. Maybe it's just me, but I'm yet to find one that isn't a major hair flicker.
I'm super sensitive to urticating hairs though, so I tend to attract the spear chuckers.

Back