Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: My first T....

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Nope no sponge in there just water lol...
    And seeing as my Apartment gets cold as hell at night... My room stays warmer than the others because of a few large fish tanks though...
    My room is like a pet store right now...
    Snakes, fish, axolotls, Tarantulas....

Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    G.rosea

Some of these spiders are completely docile, I'd say the majority are highly unpredictable on a day to day basis. They behave much differently according to temperature as well... Mine mostly like to move around a lot of dirt (if the dirt is loose) not to say they burrow, simply that they spend a lot of timing-- physically moving the dirt.

Pretty, but rather boring! Pokes, GGBs, and avicularia are much more exciting

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Better choice than my first T. I haven't even been able to handle mine, but she's a LP, so.....
    Sounds like you prepared well for the little guy.

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite! DragonsEye's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by David F View Post
    Pretty, but rather boring! Pokes, GGBs, and avicularia are much more exciting
    But for those just getting their feet wet, so to speak, a hardy "pet rock" like G. rosea isn't a bad way to start.
    "Blessed are the cracked….
    For they are the ones who let in the light."

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DragonsEye View Post
    Don't be surprised if she complete ignores the hides.
    The media does not need to be kept moist at all, and for that matter too much moisture can be lethal for them.
    Even if she ignores the hide, don't remove it. She'll need it, and want it when it comes time to molt. She'll stop eating about a week or two prior to the molt. Then web herself into the hide completely. Then after she emerges freshly molted, give her a couple weeks before you recommence feeding.

Correction, the media needs to be kept slightly moist from time to time. Misting once a week, or every other is a good idea. If too dry, their exoskeleton will be too dry to have a successful molt. And they can become stuck inside, resulting in death.

Quote Originally Posted by David F View Post
    Some of these spiders are completely docile,
    Pokes, GGBs, and avicularia are much more exciting
    Tarantulas actually aren't spiders. Which you'll hear a lot in the hobby..

Pokies, not pokes David. Short for Poecilotheria.. My specialty genus. I actually have 3 different species of Poecilotheria tattooed on me.

Quote Originally Posted by Api View Post
    Mass do you still have many tarantulas?
    Not a single one buddy..

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mass View Post
    Absolutely. She's gorgeous..
    Grammostola rosea ~ Rosehair Tarantula

Terrestrial.
    Requires a premade hide, as they are minimal burrowers.
    Rosies are really shy about eating. In the 11 years I had mine, think I only saw her eat like 5 times. They're nocturnal, so all their action is done after dark.
    i guess mine is breaking all the rules. ill have to take some pics and upload a video sometime. that tank is DUG UP.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Not really any rules with tarantulas. They're all quite unique in their own right..
    Only rule I followed over the 10 years I was breeding tarantulas was: Respect the tarantula and it's space at all times!
    They are wild, giant fanged creatures afterall..

carnivorous plants of the world -- unite! DragonsEye's Avatar
    Mentioned
    2 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Even if she ignores the hide, don't remove it. She'll need it, and want it when it comes time to molt. She'll stop eating about a week or two prior to the molt. Then web herself into the hide completely.
    Mine has never webbed herself into her hide, Travis. She has always chosen to molt in the open. (But then I have often heard that rosies have a rep for being "odd" or display strange behavior.) I do leave a hide in there for those rare occasions when she decides to use it.

Correction, the media needs to be kept slightly moist from time to time. If too dry, their exoskeleton will be too dry to have a successful molt. And they can become stuck inside, resulting in death.

Hmm never have misted the enclosure an have never had any issue with a molt (had her for over 15yrs now). I do keep a water dish in her enclosure so she can remain hydrated. Now for those Ts that are from a moister envir, I do try to keep their domiciles more humid.

Surprised you rarely saw your rosie eat, Travis. Mine has never been shy about eating in front of people.
    "Blessed are the cracked….
    For they are the ones who let in the light."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast