What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My first T....

Don't be surprised if she complete ignores the hides.
The media does not need to be kept moist at all, and for that matter too much moisture can be lethal for them.

Even if she ignores the hide, don't remove it. She'll need it, and want it when it comes time to molt. She'll stop eating about a week or two prior to the molt. Then web herself into the hide completely. Then after she emerges freshly molted, give her a couple weeks before you recommence feeding.

Correction, the media needs to be kept slightly moist from time to time. Misting once a week, or every other is a good idea. If too dry, their exoskeleton will be too dry to have a successful molt. And they can become stuck inside, resulting in death.

Some of these spiders are completely docile,
Pokes, GGBs, and avicularia are much more exciting :)

Tarantulas actually aren't spiders. Which you'll hear a lot in the hobby..

Pokies, not pokes David. Short for Poecilotheria.. My specialty genus. I actually have 3 different species of Poecilotheria tattooed on me.

Mass do you still have many tarantulas?

Not a single one buddy..

Absolutely. She's gorgeous..
Grammostola rosea ~ Rosehair Tarantula

Terrestrial.
Requires a premade hide, as they are minimal burrowers.
Rosies are really shy about eating. In the 11 years I had mine, think I only saw her eat like 5 times. They're nocturnal, so all their action is done after dark.

i guess mine is breaking all the rules. ill have to take some pics and upload a video sometime. that tank is DUG UP.

Not really any rules with tarantulas. They're all quite unique in their own right..
Only rule I followed over the 10 years I was breeding tarantulas was: Respect the tarantula and it's space at all times!
They are wild, giant fanged creatures afterall..

Even if she ignores the hide, don't remove it. She'll need it, and want it when it comes time to molt. She'll stop eating about a week or two prior to the molt. Then web herself into the hide completely.

Mine has never webbed herself into her hide, Travis. She has always chosen to molt in the open. (But then I have often heard that rosies have a rep for being "odd" or display strange behavior.) I do leave a hide in there for those rare occasions when she decides to use it.

Correction, the media needs to be kept slightly moist from time to time. If too dry, their exoskeleton will be too dry to have a successful molt. And they can become stuck inside, resulting in death.

Hmm never have misted the enclosure an have never had any issue with a molt (had her for over 15yrs now). I do keep a water dish in her enclosure so she can remain hydrated. Now for those Ts that are from a moister envir, I do try to keep their domiciles more humid.

Surprised you rarely saw your rosie eat, Travis. Mine has never been shy about eating in front of people.

So i spoke with a guy today who is a local T breeder and says that my Rose Hair is not G. rosea, but G. porteri, and are often brought in and marketed as Rose Hairs but are not true Rose Hairs... he showed me some of his true G. rosea and there is a noticeable difference in color... He sold me a sling of G. rosea and G. pulchripes today, as well as a young Peruvian Pink Toe (A. urticans)

Dammit now im addicted to Ts....

Dammit now im addicted to Ts....

I tried to warn ya.
Have fun trying to find space for a dozen new tanks! Then a dozen more in a couple months..
And so it begins.

They are addictive, but I think my fever is over. I'm selling a few of mine. Keeping a handful though.

I'm temporarily down to three T's. Two of mine hooked out so I gave them to a breeder friend of mine to use. I'll get a couple slings from him if the matings work out. All told, there are about 8 species I'd like to have in total. While there are a number of very sweet Ts out there, I have too many other interests and a severe lack of space to do more than dabble in that indulgence.

Jcal what all are you getting rid of?

I now have 2 emperor scorpions as well... Arachnohobia no more!

Back