What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

fried bugs as a nutritious and tasty snack!

Last month I was in Bangkok, Thailand to attend CITES CoP 16. One free afternoon (my only free afternoon) I took the skytrain out to the Chatuchak (weekend) market—the biggest weekend market in the world. This market is incredible: it is HUGE (according to Wikipedia it covers over 35 acres and contains more than 5,000 stalls); it’s CROWDED. It’s a vast labyrinth of stalls, tiny shops and carts selling absolutely everything. It’s chaotic, confusing and utterly fascinating. I spent a couple of hours going through the live animals and tropical fish area.

The afternoon I was there the temperature was 35°C (95°F) and 100% humidity (or so it felt) and in the market there wasn’t a breath of air. After a couple hours I was absolutely dying—I desperately needed air conditioning, a shower and a gallon of water to drink. When I exited the market I came across a cheerful vendor who was selling a variety of fried insects as tasty snacks! I took the opportunity to take a few photos for my blog before I dashed back to the hotel to cool off...

Below is a nice photo of the vendor and a couple of examples of what he had to offer.

Cheers,
EC
www.macrocritters.wordpress.com

vender close copyright ernie cooper 2013_filtered by ernie.cooper, on Flickr

grasshoppers 3 copyright ernie cooper 2013_filtered sm by ernie.cooper, on Flickr

pupae copyright ernie cooper 2013_filtered sm by ernie.cooper, on Flickr

ive tried a variety of preparations of bugs.. And they were all good... honey and chile, garlic and butter, unknown spices.. They really are tasty and I love the crunch..

im sure had i been raised with insects as part of my diet id be more open to the idea but just can get past the creamy/puss filling many of the chubbier buggers contain.

very nice photos tho

a cheap, sustainable, and available source of protein. 2 thumbs up!

Frying really ruins the taste of some bugs. For example that piquant twang you get when you first bite into a cricket is completely obliterated by cooking.

Eeeeee .. Why not LOL

I will NEVER eat that kind of thing !!!!!

Fried grasshoppers, dipped in chocolate.... anyone ever had chocolate covered almonds? A bit like that, only crunchier.

what covered in chocolate isnt good or at least half decent?

Who needs shrimp, crab, and lobster?

I have eaten mealworms, grasshoppers and ant eggs. I’m not so sure about eating those pupae. LOL. But he was also offering huge (3-4") fried giant water bugs and deep-fried fledgling birds (I have a couple of photos on my blog)—now those were intimidating!!

EC
www.macrocritters.wordpress.com

Back