What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First T

• Thread starter Api
  • Start date

Api

Happy hour..
I received this beauty last Wednesday and let it wait to settle in to take pics. A. versicolor; my first T, and probably my only one while til I move out. 3/4"

A versicolor by Mr.FluffyKinz, on Flickr

So far she has eaten one cricket small size, about as big as her, on the day she arrived and I put another one in her enclosure today. I will probably update every molt or so.

Forgot to mention, it's name is Azul.

Very pretty, didn't realize babies were that fuzzy. I love the name.

Last edited:
Sorry, not used to Flickr's new ordeal. Fixed!

Lovely sling. Bit of a pity that they don't keep this coloration throughout their lives. Though versis are colorful as adults, the bright blue of the slings is very appealing.

aww.. cute little thing. Good choice, can't go wrong with a versicolor.

Glad you guys approve. I am having a hard time feeding her. She ate a cricket some 4 days ago but she doesn't seem very interested in food. I left a live cricket in her enclosure for ~12 hours then killed it because I thought it was too big. So far I have lost sight of the cricket, probably got burried under some moss or something. Any recommendations are feeding? I think next time I'm going to look for something smaller to feed her, like FFF or roach nymphs. Maybe she's in pre-molt?

I really love her. She can be really funny at times, like she'll do laps around her cage and then take a "nap". Handling her is another story..

She should be eating pinhead crickets at this time. Rule of thumb is that you want to feed her food that is half the size of her body length.
And at this size, her enclosure should be a small critter keeper. And bigger and she may never know her food is there.

Her enclosure is basicly a small Death Cube from Lowes. It came with her on the package, kit and everything. I figure that she probably is in premolt, seeing on the breeder's blog that they all hit 2i March 25th and I read that they molt every month or so when they are this small.

Make sure there are some sort of air holes in that thing. Big enough for air, but small enough she can't escape.

gotcha.. That's perfect.

She is about to finish a cricket leg right now. I think the food was just too big for her, so I had to tear them apart. Quite a fun experience. I had to take her out and handle her, put the leg right in front of her face and she chomped. She started running around with a giant cricket leg in her mouth. Really a hilarious sight. I don't think she likes her cube much compared to my hand because of the warmth. Naturally she just wouldn't go in, so she ate half of it on my hand lol. If anyone has any doubts about getting a T, drop them immediately and order an Avic.

Going to go feed her the other one, have a good one guys.

Quick update, I'll add more pics later.

Versi molted, received 2 new Ts, a P. regalis and a B. vagans. Thanks JCal!

Untitled by Mr.FluffyKinz, on Flickr

Your guess at a male may be more accurate than you thought..
Show me another pic after it's next molt. If that abdominal stripe darkens it's male, if it lightens it female. The carapace would also lighten rather than darken..

I guess I'm glad that I got it right, but sad that it's male xD

It's not an exact science, but pretty darn close. So keep your fingers crossed that I'm wrong..

Haha. Thanks man, I hope so.

Are t's hard to.cre for what are there needs would really like to get one temps enclosure size etc. Pretty much how to care for them

Are t's hard to.cre for what are there needs would really like to get one temps enclosure size etc. Pretty much how to care for them

Depends on the T. Some are more challenging than others. Some are very easy. Grammostola rosea is probably about the easiest. Plenty of info out there on its care.

Back