Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Orb Weavers

For the love of Science! Dragoness's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I have a spider that has been living next to my front door for many weeks. It's pretty and yellow, and today, when I came home, it had just finished molting, and was still pale and hanging out nearby. Kinda cool to see, actually.
    Jen- My Grow List: http://www.terraforums.com/forums/sh...00#post1154900
    "Teaching a child not to step on a caterpillar is as valuable to the child as it is to the caterpillar."
    -Bradley Miller-

I Am the Terror Of the Night! NemJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Decided to do some more updates as the shed is constantly undergoing changes.

It looks like my flytrap may have finally caught something. Its been trying hard for a couple weeks now

The Guardsman of the shed. I believe this is a "False Black widow".
    Shes got a massive web on the door, making it very difficult to get in.
    I was attacked by this spider last time taking photos. (Just crawled on)

The pair of orb weavers now nesting in the roof.
    The females Orb is no longer recognizable. The area
    where it used to be is now engulfed in a 1 foot X 1 foot
    area of chaotic web pattern.

Sorry for blurry shots once again. With the massive chaotic web
    strung about, I felt like 007 weaving through lazers (webs) trying to get
    pictures of the spiders. In the day time, both of the spotted orb weavers sit
    close together, exactly where the female is siting in the photo. They have been
    doing this for about 4 days now.

The Most Uncreative Name in the History of Ever Plant Planter's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TongueFlicker View Post
    The local kids in my home country sometimes hold stage fights for these spiders. Losers loses spider + money, winner gets money + a full spider (winning spider usually decided after it eats its opponent) lol
    That sounds like an event in ancient China that pretty much was the same thing, but with crickets instead of spiders. They also didn't eat each other.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to be fine with the orb spiders, but I second glance them now after a big one decided that the front door was the best place for a web, and I walked into it. A few days later, she moved somewhere else, and then I saw her with a web in the watering can. Now, they're kept somewhere they won't decide to go for a walk, except for the one that I only saw fifteen seconds ago on my skylight. There's also some bright green ones over here that spin much nicer webs, I'll get a pic of one when I can.

I Am the Terror Of the Night! NemJones's Avatar
    Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cruzzfish View Post
    I used to be fine with the orb spiders, but I second glance them now after a big one decided that the front door was the best place for a web, and I walked into it. A few days later, she moved somewhere else, and then I saw her with a web in the watering can. Now, they're kept somewhere they won't decide to go for a walk, except for the one that I only saw fifteen seconds ago on my skylight. There's also some bright green ones over here that spin much nicer webs, I'll get a pic of one when I can.
    We once had an orbweaver that had a web spanning from my house, to the neighbors house. that was a good 12-14 foot span house to house. My mom just happened to walk into this behemoths web while it was 12 feet in the air.
    You could hear the web snap. That sucker was easily the size of a golf ball, and you can probably figure out where he landed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12