What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Orb Weavers

NemJones

I Am the Terror Of the Night!
I know I have talked to a good amount of TF'ers about Orb weaver spiders, and many of them
having a pretty fond interest in the spiders. Last night during a large rainstorm, I decided
to check the shed like I usually do, and check how the large orb weaver is doing, and
take some photos.
(I will try to take better photos in the morning, My ipad has very poor macro and I cant find my camera.)
After being attacked by a rather large False Nobleman Widow, I was able to get a few shots.

This Female is about the size of a quarter.

4l592r.jpg

A nice Web shot. As an added bonus of living in the shed protected by water,
There is ALWAYS abundant prey during the day, as for some reason 30-40
abnormally large blue bottle flies swarm the concrete bottom of the shed
looking for a way to cool off during the day. Disturb them, and its like a
scene right out of "The Mummy"

16hn9f6.jpg

I noticed that there is a new shadow in the corner of the shed
which has not been been there the past couple of nights.
A male has also moved in, undoubtedly for the female,
but is keeping his distance.
(Im glad I could get a good macro of him.)

2lk3fdk.jpg

This is how theyre sitting. I really wish I could get better shots
but I decided to take them, as the male could take off at any time.
Hopefully the female will have a large egg sack within the next week or
so If everything goes right.
5jy8sm.jpg

I have done some crafty stuff with spiderwebs before. Made plates with spiderwebs on them. Looked pretty cool, once finished.

I have done some crafty stuff with spiderwebs before. Made plates with spiderwebs on them. Looked pretty cool, once finished.

Last night i was wondering if I could do the same with the web after the spider leaves, but couldn't think of a good method to do so. Perhaps a black background

Forgive the large file size:
plate-spiderweb.jpg

That does look pretty neat Dragoness. Would be perfect for Halloween, lol.

Are they sealed with something..err...washable?

The local kids in my home country sometimes hold stage fights for these spiders. Losers loses spider + money, winner gets money + a full spider (winning spider usually decided after it eats its opponent) lol

The local kids in my home country sometimes hold stage fights for these spiders. Losers loses spider + money, winner gets money + a full spider (winning spider usually decided after it eats its opponent) lol

When I find kids in my neighboorhood doing that, I issue firm child beatdowns.

I have a spider that has been living next to my front door for many weeks. It's pretty and yellow, and today, when I came home, it had just finished molting, and was still pale and hanging out nearby. Kinda cool to see, actually.

Decided to do some more updates as the shed is constantly undergoing changes.

It looks like my flytrap may have finally caught something. Its been trying hard for a couple weeks now

2ztczg0.jpg

The Guardsman of the shed. I believe this is a "False Black widow".
Shes got a massive web on the door, making it very difficult to get in.
I was attacked by this spider last time taking photos. (Just crawled on)

2uhra4x.jpg

The pair of orb weavers now nesting in the roof.
The females Orb is no longer recognizable. The area
where it used to be is now engulfed in a 1 foot X 1 foot
area of chaotic web pattern.

2enoy1e.jpg

Sorry for blurry shots once again. With the massive chaotic web
strung about, I felt like 007 weaving through lazers (webs) trying to get
pictures of the spiders. In the day time, both of the spotted orb weavers sit
close together, exactly where the female is siting in the photo. They have been
doing this for about 4 days now.

2570lm9.jpg

That sounds like an event in ancient China that pretty much was the same thing, but with crickets instead of spiders. They also didn't eat each other.

I used to be fine with the orb spiders, but I second glance them now after a big one decided that the front door was the best place for a web, and I walked into it. A few days later, she moved somewhere else, and then I saw her with a web in the watering can. Now, they're kept somewhere they won't decide to go for a walk, except for the one that I only saw fifteen seconds ago on my skylight. There's also some bright green ones over here that spin much nicer webs, I'll get a pic of one when I can.

I used to be fine with the orb spiders, but I second glance them now after a big one decided that the front door was the best place for a web, and I walked into it. A few days later, she moved somewhere else, and then I saw her with a web in the watering can. Now, they're kept somewhere they won't decide to go for a walk, except for the one that I only saw fifteen seconds ago on my skylight. There's also some bright green ones over here that spin much nicer webs, I'll get a pic of one when I can.

We once had an orbweaver that had a web spanning from my house, to the neighbors house. that was a good 12-14 foot span house to house. My mom just happened to walk into this behemoths web while it was 12 feet in the air.
You could hear the web snap. That sucker was easily the size of a golf ball, and you can probably figure out where he landed.

Back