What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I need identification

I don't post often in this section, but I have something that I could use help in ID'ing.
I found this guy running through my greenhouse inside a few days ago, ridiculously quick mover and I only managed to catch him after he ran into the space inside a cardboard box. I squished him because I couldn't get a hold of him any other way, but not hard enough to ruin what he looked like. I've never seen a spider like this before, any ideas?
unknown spider by hawken.carlton, on Flickr
unknown spider by hawken.carlton, on Flickr

I take it no one here has any clue what this thing might be?

Looks like it might be something in the ground spider/sow bug spider family (Dysdera). I've never personally seen this particular one but, it has some characteristics of this family. Maybe Mach will chime in with a more definitive answer for you.

No clue. but he is kinda pretty.

Tried BugGuide?

That does appear to be it, though what he was doing running around my house is still in question..... from what I can find the records for that species are either further north or more to the eastern US than here, and the ones that occurs in the Rockies looks entirely different....

Back