Informational! Informational!:  0
Likes Likes:  0

Thread: What is this guy?

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

What is this guy?

I saw this on the dried out leaf of my D filliformis today. I've heard horror stories of caterpillars that eat the bases of dormant plants, and so I put this in a box until I can assess what it is and what I should do with it. If it eats those annoying other plants in the bog, it goes back in, if it's harmless it goes back in, if it shouldn't be in a bog in the first place it goes outside, and if it's dangerous Nepenthes eats it. Here's the picture.

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Looks like a cutworm. Feed them to the neps or any other means of disposing of them. I find them in my bog mostly in spring. They love to feast on sarracenia and can do a lot of damage, especially young shoots coming up. Some of my sarracenia pitchers are full of the cutworm moths. They can also devastate a vegetable garden, clematis, etc. Cutworms in home gardens : Insects : University of Minnesota Extension
    Last edited by DJ57; 11-01-2015 at 10:48 PM.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ57 View Post
    Looks like a cutworm. Feed them to the neps or any other means of disposing of them. I find them in my bog mostly in spring. They love to feast on sarracenia and can do a lot of damage, especially young shoots coming up. Some of my sarracenia pitchers are full of the cutworm moths. They can also devastate a vegetable garden, clematis, etc. Cutworms in home gardens : Insects : University of Minnesota Extension
    I'll get rid of it when I get home. I wish I knew what it was doing on dried leaves of Filliformis though. Not much to eat there, so maybe it was pupating.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had them much up a couple of my binatas and capensis, super annoying.
    "Potential has a shelf life." -Margaret Atwood
    My meager growlist

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    It was a bad year for them around here. I had several plants damaged, although thankfully none lost to them.
    Judge not lest ye be judged creates a cesspool. Judge others and prepare to be judged by them.
    Just know when to keep the verdict to yourself.

Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I had an infestation of those this year. They chewed up all the D. binata and wrecked my entire capensis collection. They had a nasty habit of burrowing into the rosettes or roots of the capensis, so spray pesticides didn't work - I ended up submerging all of my trays underwater for 72 hours to get rid of them. The capensis lost all of their above-ground foliage and have only started coming back recently.