Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Spider ID

Greetings from the netherworld. curtisconners's Avatar
    Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I knew I got it wrong, thanks.
    The profile pic that you see above is my actual photo. I am a hyper-intelligent snake that has learned to use the internet and I will eventually rule you all.

Just kidding..... Or am I?

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    This is an example of the big jumping spiders I see in my yard and around the CP pots, even ambushing from inside sarr pitchers. This one was perched on a 4" pot, wasp for scale

[IMG]IMG_1925x1 by Djoni C, on Flickr[/IMG]

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Protect your plants from that thing. It might want to eliminate the competition.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I used to get those giant looking jumping spiders too. Quite fascinating, I would see them walking around my cucumbers with harvest men in their mouth parts.

Great pictures BTW!

Mentioned
    15 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Mostly see smaller species, but there are plenty around my house that get up to an inch long. Tried moving one out of the house last year and actually got bit by it, the only spider bite I've ever experienced and completely unexpected because I didn't think it was big enough to manage...
    Everything has a reason, whether big or small. Never underestimate the power of what is or is not.
    There is far more to everything than meets the eye.
    Growlist

Mentioned
    5 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The one in the photo actually covered an entire sarr pitcher mouth with its nest web. They do catch bugs attracted to the pitchers, thieves! I like them though and probably spend way too much time watching the spiders who make the bog their home, especially the jumping spiders.

All sizes of jumping spiders come into the house at times riding on the dogs, but I leave the removal of those to someone else using a cup and piece of paper as I have a bit of a phobia to spiders in the house, haha. I will not allow them to be killed though, they go back outside away from the house, usually to the bog. I have been bitten by spiders before but never a jumping spider, by the looks of the mouth parts on the big ones I imagine it can be a pretty nasty bite.
    Last edited by DJ57; 04-22-2016 at 12:37 PM.

Mentioned
    3 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DJ57 View Post
    The one in the photo actually covered an entire sarr pitcher mouth with its nest web. They do catch bugs attracted to the pitchers, thieves! I like them though and probably spend way too much time watching the spiders who make the bog their home, especially the jumping spiders.

All sizes of jumping spiders come into the house at times riding on the dogs, but I leave the removal of those to someone else using a cup and piece of paper as I have a bit of a phobia to spiders in the house, haha. I will not allow them to be killed though, they go back outside away from the house, usually to the bog. I have been bitten by spiders before but never a jumping spider, by the looks of the mouth parts on the big ones I imagine it can be a pretty nasty bite.
    From what I have heard, jumping spiders are some of the most docile spiders. Many people keep them as pets, and even handle them with no problem.

Mentioned
    7 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Did the spider survive the hail storm? The little guy just occurred to me.
    The profile pic that you see above is my actual photo. I am a hyper-intelligent snake that has learned to use the internet and I will eventually rule you all.

Just kidding..... Or am I?

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast