What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi, I am new to this forum. I met a couple of people from this forum on another one and they told me about this one. I enjoy growing CPs, and hope my collection will grow soon. I have a small outdoor collection, and some nepenthes in my windowsill, and some tropical butterworts and drosera in a terrarium. I really want some byblis liniflora seeds. I haven't tried those yet. I also have terrariums with frogs (tomato's right now, darts coming soon). I love to read a lot, I play Scrabble online a lot, I have dogs and a cat, and several horses. I enjoy oil painting, too. I am a mother with three children and I work as a medical transcriptionist.
smile_r_32.gif

Welcome to TF! I see we have a couple things in common -  cats and Scrabble. Aside from the abbreviated version of trying to make up words from random letters, is there truly a program to play Scrabble, as one would play chess with a friend? In other words, I challenge thee to a duel!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (jimscott @ Feb. 02 2006,7:58)]is there truly a program to play Scrabble, as one would play chess with a friend?
indeed there is!  you both need yahoo accounts, and go to games.yahoo.com, and under "word games" click on Literati.

I play on the website games.com. The site sometimes has some issues, like when it is full it can be hard to get into a game, but I've been playing there for years and I love it. Why don't you check it out and play a few games, see if you like it, and then I will accept the duel! We can set a time and go in there and play each other.
smile_n_32.gif

Presto / Emily: Thank you for the guidance. I do have a Yahoo account and actually had the opportunity to play one game of chess with one of our forum members.

Back2eight: My lack of computer savvy is showing again. I did a Google by pasting website games.com and came up with a whole mess of sites, but none of them specifically were that site. I also perused through the top site listing: Free online games, under puzzles and word game categories - but came up empty. Obviously, something is amiss. Any suggestions?

You have no idea how difficult it is to find someone who can play Scrabble and put together 200+ scores - except for my 150 IQ sister!

Anyone do that 9 square grid puzzle thingy?

Hmmm, I have no idea why you would have had trouble finding it. That is the web address, games.com. If it won't bring it up, try googling "play scrabble online" or something like that and it should bring it up. But that is the site, games.com!

jimscott, I just tried to to make sure, and I types in google "games.com" and it was the only thing it brought up. I promise, it exists!

I probably made a mistake in my wording on the search. This time I found the site and registered. I'm waiting for them to send the Email confirmation. Looking forward to matching wits with ya!

Hey, they also have Boggle, Monopoly, Yahtzee,.... But only Scrabble and Boggle rely on gray matter!

LOL, glad you found it. I'm there under back2eight. Like I said before, the site sometimes has technical difficulties, like it can be hard to get into a game, but I have played there for years. Its fun. Add tds.net to the end of my username, and you have my email address, so feel free to send an email.

Thanks, I am wading through registering with their forum. I see that there are many... um... incongruities. Someone called babyblueRhot just challenged me and I'm not ready to do anything about it except deny and hurt someone's feelings. I'm just checking this out right now.

You'll think I am nuts, but when I registered for the games itself, it asked for a reference. So I typed in back2eight and it wasn't recognized. I'll send you an Email, after I deny and put in a reason for denying. BRB!

I am currently watching a match and some of their words don't appear to be real.
confused.gif
Are contestants allowed to consult their own Scrabble dictionary?

LOL, you will get the hang of it. Have you ever played by tournament rules? That is what it follows. There are lots of words accepted that don't seem like real words and it always confuses new players. There are 96 acceptable 2-letter words, I have them all memorized. People probably would not like it if they thought you were using a dictionary, but a lot of people do it. I have one. I also have an anagram program. As long as you don't take too long in between moves it doesn't matter. Most people like fast games, so don't take your time in between each play. I usually can look up a word while the other person is taking their turn, then I'm ready to play right away. There used to be a website, I don't know if it still exists, called trussel.com I believe, and it explains tournament play and gives you lists of words, like the 96 two-letter words, and some words to make with hard letters like Q and Z. I had printed out what was on that website and would have those sheets of paper in front of me while I played. I don't need them any more.

Oh no... what have I gotten myself into?!
smile_k_ani_32.gif
I have 2 copies of the "Official Scrabble Dictionary" and I used to study / memorize the 2 & 3 letter words, some of which I have probably forgotten. My sister taught me that mastering the 2 & 3 letter words was the best strategy, along with never leaving a Triple Word Score open. Always sew things up, even if you can't make much out of it yourself. Make as many horizontal and vertical words as possible and leave as little open for one's opponent. Basically, it's trench warfare. I'm sure that is nothing new to the true Scrabble players. I think the books are up in the attic somewhere... You will find that I won't be as strong and competitive as what as being described (at first), but better than what you normally come across when you break out a board and ask if anyone is interested in playing.

I love anagrams and crossword puzzles as well. I think I have some studying to do!
smile.gif

Back