What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hi,

Just joined the group after spending a week or so reading posts and articles. I had a lot of failed attemps when I was younger, buying CPs from various sources and watching them die, but in the last two years I've started making a more serious attempt - not that I can really afford another hobby, but these things are addictive.

I'm a marine biologist and I work at a public aquarium. My boss just gave me permission to put in a raised bog CP display in one of our flower beds outside (here in Long Island, NY). I'll be stocking it with a variety of North American CPs. At home, I have a 90 gallon terrarium with tropical sundews and 2 Nepenthes.

Anyway, I'm happy to have found this group and I look forward to spending more time here.

Thanks,
Todd

Welcome to the forums Todd. You New Yorkers are beginning to out number the rest of us
laugh.gif

I guess that's because the sparse wilderness around here forces us to get our nature fix in our back yards, terrariums, and fish tanks.

Welcome Todd.
smile.gif
I ,too, had many failed attempts at growing carnivorous plants when I was younger. I managed to kill a HUGE pot of Sarracenia purpurea purpurea, several venus fly traps,and a few sundews. In the past 5 years or so, I started researching how to grow them, and that is how I found terraforums. Anyways, feel free to PM me about any question that you might have.
dewy

hey i got an idea...combine both of your passions! for example put utricularia in a freshwater tank
smile.gif

I tried some Utricularia in a tank of RO water outside last summer. There were plenty of critter swimming around after a few days, but the plant wasted away. I guess I still have a lot to learn. I have a few inches of water in the bottom of my terrarium. Maybe I'll try some in there. I have some tanks here at the aquarium that have good enough lighting, but I'm afraid the nutrient levels would be too high.

Glad to have you here Todd. I definitely would love to see a picture of your bog once it's all constructed!

On a side note, if I had a penny for every CP I killed when I was younger...Let's just say I'd own my own public aquarium
smile_n_32.gif

hey i live on long island which aquarium do you work at Riverhead?

Hi, Todd! Welcome! Glad to see you have the addiction. Feel free to go through my growlist and see if anything there interests you for your bog. I will be happy to help! Anyone else who wants to help, CLIMB ON!!!!

Wow, Thanks! I don't have many plants to trade yet, but I do raise salt water fish and corals. I see there are a few fish and coral heads on here.

I could also supply you with a ton of Drosera capensis, if you would like.

-Ben

Thank you all for the warm welcome and generous offers. Ben, I just got my first capensis last week. I hear they can be quite prolific, but I guess one is hardly enough to start a healthy population. I have a friend from Rochester who travels between here and there pretty often. Maybe next time she goes, we can get her to traffic some plants for us and save the shipping headaches.

Take care,

LOLOL!!!!!!!!! Todd, one capensis can net you thousands of plants in very short order. Prolific is putting it mildly. Devastating is more accurate!

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Bugweed @ Jan. 28 2006,2:07)]LOLOL!!!!!!!!! Todd, one capensis can net you thousands of plants in very short order. Prolific is putting it mildly. Devastating is more accurate!
So very true! You can start off with a single, half-dead, sorry-looking D. capensis and within a few months have a whole army of them
smile_n_32.gif
I've always thought they were incredibly cool plants for this very reason, not to mention they're just pretty to look at
smile.gif

They sure are pretty; however I'm starting to wonder whether it would be environmentally sound to put them in our outdoor exhibit. There are some bogs within a couple of miles of the aquarium. I would hate to visit them and find D. capensis competing with our rotundifolia and intermedia. I know they are considered subtropical, but I wouldn't be surprised if they could get through one of our winters - especially this year. I would welcome any thoughts on this?

Thanks,

Hi Todd and welcome to TF! Coincidently, I grew up on "The Island", in Huntington. I am also tropical fish hobbyist -fresh & salt.

Wow, I grew up in Centerport - right next door.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (fishtail22 @ Jan. 30 2006,1:35)]Wow,  I grew up in Centerport - right next door.
Centerport?! Um.... we absolutely had to graduate from the same high school - Harborfields. Did You also go to Oldfields JHS?

Yup, I went to both. I graduated in '88 - the year after Mariah Carey (did you know she was a Harborfields graduate?). My oldest brother may have graduated around the same time as you. His name is Bill Gardner.

Back