Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hello

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi,

Just joined the group after spending a week or so reading posts and articles. I had a lot of failed attemps when I was younger, buying CPs from various sources and watching them die, but in the last two years I've started making a more serious attempt - not that I can really afford another hobby, but these things are addictive.

I'm a marine biologist and I work at a public aquarium. My boss just gave me permission to put in a raised bog CP display in one of our flower beds outside (here in Long Island, NY). I'll be stocking it with a variety of North American CPs. At home, I have a 90 gallon terrarium with tropical sundews and 2 Nepenthes.

Anyway, I'm happy to have found this group and I look forward to spending more time here.

Thanks,
    Todd
    Todd

...and on the 8th day, they bulldozed it.

It's been one of dem days BigCarnivourKid's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forums Todd. You New Yorkers are beginning to out number the rest of us [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/laugh.gif[/img]
    ---Steve Allinger---

How come chicken fingers are bigger than buffalo wings?

My Grow List

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I guess that's because the sparse wilderness around here forces us to get our nature fix in our back yards, terrariums, and fish tanks.
    Todd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome Todd. [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img] I ,too, had many failed attempts at growing carnivorous plants when I was younger. I managed to kill a HUGE pot of Sarracenia purpurea purpurea, several venus fly traps,and a few sundews. In the past 5 years or so, I started researching how to grow them, and that is how I found terraforums. Anyways, feel free to PM me about any question that you might have.
    dewy
    John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey i got an idea...combine both of your passions! for example put utricularia in a freshwater tank [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile.gif[/img]
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    I tried some Utricularia in a tank of RO water outside last summer. There were plenty of critter swimming around after a few days, but the plant wasted away. I guess I still have a lot to learn. I have a few inches of water in the bottom of my terrarium. Maybe I'll try some in there. I have some tanks here at the aquarium that have good enough lighting, but I'm afraid the nutrient levels would be too high.
    Todd

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Glad to have you here Todd. I definitely would love to see a picture of your bog once it's all constructed!

On a side note, if I had a penny for every CP I killed when I was younger...Let's just say I'd own my own public aquarium [img]http://www.**********.com/iB_html/non-cgi/emoticons/new/smile_n_32.gif[/img]

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    hey i live on long island which aquarium do you work at Riverhead?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast