What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My intro

Well, I just found this place online, and I'm delighted to find such a wonderful source of info. I've been keeping carnivorous plants sporadicly over the years, with increasing success each time, and this collection is now in its third year. Mostly Sarracenia, but a few flytraps, some sundews, bladderworts and one Nepenthes. So far so good, though I've certainly had some 'learning experiences' with various plants, particularly Nepenthes.

Outside of carnivorous plants, I'm a MS student in biology, focusing on biomechanics and currently working on the arboreal locomotion of snakes. I've got a lab full of them, including a pair of gliding treesnakes, and at home I've got a boa, ball python, and blue tegu (along with a museum's worth of bones and preserved specimens). Most precious of all is my wonderful fiancee, who loves reptiles as much as I do, and who is utterly perfect in every way; in my usual joking affectations of mad science, I often say I couldn't have a more perfect fiancee if I'd created her myself.

Anyhow, hopefully I'll leanr a lot here, and get my plants growing bigger and stronger.

Mokele

Welcome to the forum!

Jerry

Welcome!
biggrin.gif

HAIL, HENRY!!!!! Welcome. I can go for everything in your profile, especially the Herps. If you need any advice or help in your quest for Total Global Domination, I would be glad to help!!!!

Nice to see another Ohio Grower!

Cheers

Welcome to TF!

Welcome to terraforums
smile.gif

dewy

just nice to see another snake nut. ive got a couple spotted pythons and a Boa constrictor at the moment but have had several other pythons and false water cobras which i hope to get again now that we are buying a house and ill have more room. ive got a "mad scientist" collection also though its mostly minerals and such though just to day i recieved the tanned hide of a gaboon viper, it was an animal that died in a personal collection of natural causes. happy that my wife puts up with me too. she insisted that i get into dart frogs. heck she has even been nailed by one of the spotted pythons and shes not afraid to handle them

Very cool, what other pythons have you had? I'm still holding out for Boelen's python to breed in captivity, but I have expensive tastes. My fiancee's big into lizards, and wants to get into breeding them, especially crested geckos and my blue tegu.

What dart frogs do you have? I considered them, but feeding them is just too much of a pain. After getting used to the convenience of frozen rodents, feeding insects or veggies is just too much work for me.

Mokele

Welcome to the forum !! Snakes good... Spiders bad. Congratulations on the fiance, a snake lovin' woman is hard to come by, let alone marry !!

as far as pythons ive had black bloods, carpets, balls and a ringed python. think thats it.

Boelen's are interesting snakes. i know a guy down in west Texas who has them or used to have them. cranky old man but fun to chat with.

dart frogs i have azureus and Surinam cobalt tinc's. i also have 3 species of Mantella's including a pair of laevigatta that are doing their best impersonation of rabbits, going to be moving them out of a 25 gallon and into a 60 as soon as we move into the new house. i dont find feeding them a pain. if yah get the right supplies fruit flies are easy to breed in mass quantities with minimal effort.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]as far as pythons ive had black bloods, carpets, balls and a ringed python. think thats it.

Very cool. We've got a gorgeous little jungle carpet in lab now, along with a pair of retic babies, one with a nice yellow head.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]Boelen's are interesting snakes. i know a guy down in west Texas who has them or used to have them. cranky old man but fun to chat with.

They definitely are, and hopefully captive breeding will relieve pressure from wild populations. As it is, I've only seen a few of them.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]dart frogs i have azureus and Surinam cobalt tinc's.

Ahh, azureus is my favorite. Big, blocky, blue frogs.

[b said:
Quote[/b] ]i dont find feeding them a pain. if yah get the right supplies fruit flies are easy to breed in mass quantities with minimal effort.

True, but compared to just thawing out a mouse it's still a fair bit of effort, and my frequent vacations/absences mean I'd need someone else to look after them to a much greater degree than I would for my rodent-eaters.

Basically, I'm just lazy.
smile.gif

Mokele

the carpet i had was over 6 foot, beautiful animal. had we gotten a house sooner i would have kept her and built a large enclosure but at the point i sold her i was short on room.

Ours is still a little thing, maybe 70cm, but we've also only been feeding biweekly to keep it within a narrow size range, since much of our work can be thoroughly screwed up with too big of a size range between animals.

Mokele

Pythons and other "exotics" are ok. I think they are beautiful in fact. i had a boa or two, and always seemed to come back to the good ole USA. I only keep 2 L. g. splendida right now, and I absolutely love 'em. The wife handles them, and loves'em too. Somehow, with both CP and snakes, I came back to the place where my interest started; America! I like the big guys, as long as they are in someone else's collection! I am glad for folks like you, Henry, keeping them alive and going for future generations.
Sheridan, the wife wanted the pituophis babies. She is putting that on hold for now though. Too much going on.

let me know, as soon as we get moved into the new place ill really watch for them when out in the hills, will have room to hold a couple through the summer no problem, so im planning on catching any lil ones i find.

i agree with yah the US species are pretty cool but i am definatly getting another false water cobra. they are quite interesting to work with. easy to handle and their feeding response is out of this world. the are diurnal and highly active too which doesnt hurt
smile_m_32.gif

prolly wind up keeping a Pithuopis also if i find a good one this year, really prefer dealing with the adults though. the lil ones usually have a chip on their shoulder, lil buggers
smile_n_32.gif

Back