Likes Likes:  0
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hello!

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    To add to what xscd wrote, when plants experience a bit of drying, it forces root development and the those roots go down deeper. In contrast, if there is always water around, that discourages root development. No incentive. Should it go totally dry, without root develpment, the plant would be toast. Another analogy is that of muscles. An exercised muscle (or body) can endure more punishment if needed. One that isn't challenged, when it is, won't be able to handle it. There's a bit of "get tough or die" with all this, not unlike a certain Johnny Cash song from the 60's.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    The reds are coming along nicely, and my first flower.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    NICE!! be careful with flowering they put so much enerygy into flowering and if they arnt healthy it might mess them up. get some seeds by 'selfing' it and make more! you might see slowed growth in your flowering plant after it is done. if you dont want that to happen to your other ones cut them of when the stalks are a couple of inches tall.
    good luck
    alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Links to the full size pics for better viewing

http://www.picfront.com/images/Picture_001.jpg

http://www.picfront.com/images/Picture_005.jpg

Yes, Ive been told that about the flowers and I will trim the rest but Im letting that one grow, I want to see how it affects the plant. Because Im eeeeviiiilllllll

Hmm, the devil emote doesnt appear to work, so u get angry. Looks evil enuff.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by [b
    Quote[/b] (MDPotter @ May 06 2006,10:42)]Links to the full size pics for better viewing

http://www.picfront.com/images/Picture_001.jpg

http://www.picfront.com/images/Picture_005.jpg

Yes, Ive been told that about the flowers and I will trim the rest but Im letting that one grow, I want to see how it affects the plant. Because Im eeeeviiiilllllll

Hmm, the devil emote doesnt appear to work, so u get angry. Looks evil enuff.
    Actually, if given plenty of sunlight, flowers will not kill a VFT. Now, if the VFT is unhealthy, then the flowering will kill it, but a healthy VFT will not die from flowering IME.
    dewy
    John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    My new dews
    Binata, dichotoma and multifada all in one pot:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Where in the heck are you getting this garbage, Glider? Just because its in print don't make it so!!!!! My VFT's are allowed to flower every year, AND pollinated for genetic diversity. Yes. They are mixed with red dragons, red pirhanas, typicals, all that, and I give seed away in buckets! Fallacy, G14!!! Pure crap! The explanation about the plant being healthy and producing and one not too happy where its at and flowering, well, my odds are on the healthy one! The one not quite right in its environ will have a real bad time, while those happy in there captivity, flower all the time, no worse for wear. If this flowering garbage was true, then we would have dang few VFT's in the wild because they would be busy dieing off! If your plant gets weak while flowering, then check out its environment. Don't take the word of a YEARS OLD idiom, proven wrong time and again. Healthy environment= a strong, healthy, flowering, producing, VFT! Now get Growing!!!!
    45 yrs. growin\'
    Founder NASC

Moderator Schmoderator Fluorescent fluorite, England PlantAKiss's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Alright...just think about it. VFTs grow in the wild. VFTs produce flowers in the wild. Nobody is out there cutting the flowers off the VFTs. The VFTs do not all die. They do what nature intended...make flowers to procreate.

As with many plants, making flowers and producing seed takes energy. Its growth might slow down some but otherwise, it certainly doesn't hurt the plant. Where in the world did that rumor get started?

Nice pot o' stickies MDP. And welcome to the forums.
    "Fox terriers are born with about four times as much original sin in them as other dogs." - Jerome K. Jerome

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast