Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Hello!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hi all, Im another noob to the CP scene
    I recently did an impulse buy at Lowes... twice... and in the last two weeks have made 3 mini-island-bogs of VFTs on my back patio with the help of Savage Garden, the interweb, and some tips from reading here at terraforum and advice I received from the carnivorous plants UK forum. Which I only joined btw because for some reason my home email was being rejected by this forums signup filter (Id get a message: cannot use that email address onthis forum, even though my email is a bellsouth.net address). I got around it (finally) by using my work email to sign up and then switching it to my home email in the control panel.
    Anywayz... Ill be posting some questions in the appropriate forums soon cause I have some D Adelae that are struggling atm and some more dews on the way (binata & multifada).
    And I have a nepenthes of an unknown variety (it was labeled sarracinia!?!?&#33 that seems to be doing great.
    Aaaand... I just learned that I have a CP nursery locally down here in South Florida that specializes in nepenthes, so Ill be adding to that part of my collection soon.
    Being that I live in south Florida it is very tough to get good, specific advice on growing down here cause the climate is at an extreme zone-wise (10), so Im experimenting.
    So there you go, Ill post pics of all my dabbling in the next day or 3, thanks for reading!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Here's the plants I got from lowes in theri new home:

Some dentae with 4 typs in the middle that I got from dangerousplants, small compared to the lowes (much younger I would guess) but thriving madly, grow like weeds, can see the difference from am to pm:

and finally a ring of reds around 4 typs, from same seller, bigger than the dentae but still small, tons of traps coming up:

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forums MD... let the obsession begin.
    There's a tunnel at the end of the light...

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome Matt! Your plants look very happy. Is that D.adelae in the back ground of the 3rd pic?
    dewy
    John 3:16
    My grow list/want list
    Prior to the funeral home visit, we heard ~ "Hey'all watch this ! !"

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to CP.... I mean TerraForums!

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hello Matt-- Welcome!

Nice looking VFTs. If there are only Venus Flytraps in a particular minibog, consider letting them dry out some between waterings instead of standing in water all the time.

Being just moist instead of continually wet can do a lot of good for VFTs, in my experience, though others may disagree. The plants may grow a little more conservatively when they are drier, but they become very healthy, hardy, vigorous and larger. In too much water they may grow fast, but sometimes become leggy and weak. To use an analogy, it's almost like they are drinking as fast as they can in order to keep from slowly drowning (rotting/dying)!

I don't know why I'm so "evangelical" about this point! Perhaps because there seems to be so much information that gives the impression that the Venus Flytrap is a bog or swamp plant instead of a moist, sandy, grassy savannah dweller. Sorry everyone--
    Be happy in the travel--there is no destination

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    ^I agree about that.

As a kid, all the children books I read about carnivorous plants usually group them as bog plants, but after reading Schnell's book where he differentiates between the habitats, it all made much more sense. In fact, when visiting the NJ pine barren "bogs," I've noticed they were quite different than the northern spruce bogs found in Acadia, Maine. They were more akin to the sandy savannahs that I've seen in Big Thicket, Texas. A LOT of sand and dry spells under leafless pines. D. filiformis grows in almost pure sand in S. Jersey Pine Barrens, and pics of flytraps in the wild look similar.

Oh, and welcome! I just recently joined too and this forum is FULL of help and knowledge, not to mention generous people.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Hey everyone, thanks for the replies.

Yes dewy thats a D adelae, I picked up a total of 4 from lowes the same time I got the vfts in the top pic. Unfortunately they are not doing so well, I was letting them get some morning sun (around 2-3 hoursish) and over the course of a few days they have developed signs of stress so Ive moved them into complete shade. Actually I put one in the house on a windowsill to see how it handles a/c. Im also not sure how wet they should be cause theyre still in the so-called 'lowes little plastic boxes of death' packed in moss. I need to repot them I know but I only started my cp collection 2 weeks ago

xscd: yes I am letting the trays go dry before refilling. These pics were taken the day after repotting the internet plants, so they are full. I actually bought the lowes plants to practice repotting vfts a few days before my internet order arrived (and thats what they looked like, I had nothing to do with the length of the leaves), and Im glad I did because (a) the lowes plants were actually in really good shape and look great, and (b) the internet plants were delayed several weeks so the shipper gave me some extra plants... I ordered 8, got 24! But the net plants are smaller and younger, so I have variety of age and variants. Also, I recently discovered a CP nursery down here in south florida (ten minutes away) that mainly handles nepenthes but they have flytraps too, just not for sale, and they were nice enough to offer me advice on my setup via email. And handling dormancy (Im going to be reducing watering and moving them to shade and crossing my fingers, thats what the local nursery said they do so we'll see). I plan on actually visiting their nursery soon, nepenthes are my next step, I have one, want more. The obsession has begun.

ps: Please excuse if I repeated stuff from my original post but Im at work atm and am responding between ... working

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast