What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Some know me already

JB_OrchidGuy

Cardiac Nurse
Hello everyone.  I'm not new, but figured I would add my installment.  My name is Josh, and I work in a hospital as a surgical tech on the night shift.  Just in case anyone was wondering why I post at all hours of the night!  Yes I am the one who gives the Dr the knife when he asks for it or the scissors or whatever.  I am in school to be a nurse.  I just have 2 classes left then I get to start nursing school.

The bulk of my collection is orchids, and I am into either large plants or strange "different" flowers.  I have some mini orchids too, and they are growing on me.  I was introduced to the forums by Kirk (Kirkcostalcarnivours).  He popped over to the orchid source one day and wanted to do some trading of CPs for orchids.  So I indulged him, and he lead me here.  I have been here ever since.  I actually visit here more than I visit there now.  I am expanding my collection of CPs thanks to JBL, and other members.  

My plans are to start an Orchid nursery in the future after I become a nurse to fund it.  No more debt for me!! (hopefully)  I truly enjoy Terra forums, and I am so glad Kirk pointed the way here.  I have learned so much, and everyone is so generous.  I try to return the favor when I can, and hope to do more in the future after my collection gets to a size that I can take devisions and seeds.

My grow list is incomplete at the moment, but I don't have many more Cps than what is on the list so far.  After I get off my lazy butt and have the time I will finish it and start on my orchid grow list to add there too.

I just have one suggestion for the site.  I think we should have a dedicated photo forum.  Maybe for each different genus or groups like the discussion forums but for pictures.  Hopefully this would encourage more photo sharing since I just LOVE looking at the different plants and things.  I know we get photo sharing now, but its hit or miss.  Sometimes I just want to pop on and see pictures.  Since we can't upload to the site, but have to pipe it from other sites the pictures we wouldn't have to worry about a photo archive like on the orchid source.  There the mods have to archive the photo threads and remove all the conversation posts and just leave the stuff posted by the topic starts to conserve space.  Since they get so many photos posted to share their orchid pictures.  Other than that this site is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!  I have learned so much from everyone here.  

Thanks everyone!!

Mornin', Josh -
Judging by the number of posts listed in your profile, it's inappropriate for me to welcome you, but I'd like to say it's nice to see another Southerner on the boards. (I have a dream, in the back of my head, of someday having a regional cps)
At any rate, enjoy your cps, your orchids and your nursing career.
setep (Ron Ruppel)

^More southerners here than you think.
smile.gif

Oh and JB_OrchidGuy rocks!! I've recieved plants from him before and they were awsome! I am kinda the opposite because I started with CP's and now I'm getting into Orchids. Lets hope you can start up that nursery, if so then I'll have to make a trip out there to see it ( I have family in Ga )

Hi! Orchid man, I don't know much about all this, but glad you are here anyway. Maybe I can figure out how to raise these plants someday. Just don't know enough!

Bugweed are you talking about not knowing enough about orchids or CPs?  Because if your talking about CPs man you have to be kidding me!  I have learned a lot from you, and your knowledge is invaluable to the board along with many other folks as well.  Thanks for being here.  

Thanks Copcar!  You don't have to wait till I have a nursery to come by and see the greenhouse.  Just let me know when your going to be in Ga and we could set something up.  Maybe take a trip to Carter and Holmes one of the days your in town. There are a couple of orchid nurseries around.  Carter and Holmes is about an hour and a half away, and then there is live oaks in Savannah I have never been to their green house(s), but I have ordered from them before.  There are a couple in Atlanta too.  I want to specialize in the things I like, but of course have things that are in demand too.  Not everyone likes the stinky bulbos or the wasp looking gongoras.  

Yes Setup I am not a new person to the board, but I never made my post here. Yes it is nice to know there are southerners around.  I was just going through it last night and decided to give folks a little background.  I never payed much attention to this section till the other day.  Just trying to get a little more involved.

CP? Wots dat?

LOL!! Having fun!

I see you old fooler! As I said before its great to have you here to learn from!

Hey Josh, nice to "meet" you! I once had the notion of becomeing a nurse (many, many moons ago
laugh.gif
). However, my first semester of pre-nursing quickly disabused me of that idea. I had this problem with memorizing all the bones, tissue types, and so on. I decided it wasn't my cup of tea no matter how appealing the idea had been to start with. My hats off to you for being able to stick with it!

Oh hell Steve. You just needed to know that for the class. Do you accualy think the nurses accualy "use" that in the real world? Hell for that matter do you think the Dr know all those bones off the top of their head? Sure there may be a few, but for the most part they know their area and thats it. If you don't use it you loose it. Thats what reference books are for! In fact I am looking at a PDR at the moment. a phsycian desk reference. Not even the Dr can recall everything. Its like why in the hell do I need to learn economics to be a nurse? I took the class for core. Boosted my GPA because I got an A in it, but it has nothing to do with nursing. They just want to make sure you can learn, and its obvious you can. Man that shouldn't have discoraged you, but oh well.

Oh I forgot to mention. You were talking about memorizing bones and stuff. I took my A&P 1&2 over the summer quarter. I had 4 weeks of A&P 1 and 4 weeks A&P 2. 2 week mid 2 week final then 2 weeks mid 2 weeks final and done! That was also 2 mids and two finals because the class had a mid and final and the lab part had a mid and final. That was fun!! Can we say CRASH COURSE!!!!!!!! I made B's in both classes.

Hi Josh. Welcome to TF! Oddly enough, we haven't interacted much here yet.

Nope Jim not much. I do keep up with your posts though, and have learned alot. Thanks for the welcome.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (JB_OrchidGuy @ June 18 2006,11:14)]Oh hell Steve. You just needed to know that for the class. Do you accualy think the nurses accualy "use" that in the real world? Hell for that matter do you think the Dr know all those bones off the top of their head?
That's what I figured, but I couldn't keep that stuff in my head even if I stuffed corks in my ears and studied like my life depended on it. Which it didn't
smile_m_32.gif

I hear ya Steve. The ONLY reason I studied was because it was 4 weeks per section that normally took one semester to do. 2 hours a day 5 days a week. 2 of those days also had a 2 hour lab. I made an A in biology 2 and never opened my book outside of school. Oh well, I'm sure your doing something you like now too. The only reason I am doing it is because I can stand the field for long enough to get my nursery started.

Back