What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New to Forum

Hey. I have only been involved with CP's for about a year now. Started when I worked in landscaping with Brooks Garcia who is amazing with his hybridizing, growing and conservationist work of Sarracenia.

My first "bog" was 12x20" and had a few starter plants. This spring I divided everything up into larger containers with a little more flair. I live in a loft with restrictions, so everything I do has to look good -even a bog.

What I am doing right - D. fillimormis fillimormis. Started with one plant. I have been removing older leaves as soon as they look yellow. This seems to encourage more side growth and I have divided one plant in 1 1/2 year into 14. I am amazed.

I am really looking forward to starting with the D. Fillimormis All-Red variety. "Farmer Dave" has been generous enough to get me started with those seeds and I am anxiously awaiting their arrival and development.

When I have more D. rotundifolia and D. intermedia, I will be happy to share!

Enough about me, here is my handiwork so far...

IMG_1669.jpg

welcome to the forums. nice looking plants...

Welcome! Any friend of Brooks is a friend of mine. A very nice and talented guy.
smile.gif
Looks like you are off to a good start.

I hope you hang around and join in the community...really nice folks here.

Hi and welcome  -
smile.gif

Your 'port-a-bogs' look nice!

Great set up you have going there.

You should have no problem propagating those 'dews. The species you've mentioned are like bunnies the right conditions....which it looks like you have.

Hi there, I just joined too. Just wanted to say your plants and pots look really nice.

Welcome!!! If you are doing it right with D. filiformis you will be doing it right for some 75% of other CP's. Your plantings are beautiful, but appear undrained? You want to be very careful of the purity of your water in this type of arrangement and it's advisable to repot into fresh mix annually. Good Growing, and we all appreciate your offer to share when possible. You sound like family to me
smile.gif

Tamlin, thanks for the drainage comment. It is something I am worried about for sure. Though, I have a friend who has lots of bogs in undrained beds and his are growing strong after years. Another thing I am wondering about... A/C drainage water... It is not distilled but is actually water from the atmosphere, think it can be used for CP's? It get's pricey and I have to walk a half mile (no problem really there) in the sun with four gallons of water every couple of days.

A/C is fine for use on CPs. Just be sure the coils and drip tray are clean otherwise you could introduce the molds and slimes that tend to grow there to your plants. While they probaly won't hurt your plants they do produce nutrients and are unsightly.

Four gallons of H20 @ 8.34 lbs/gal=33.36lbs. If your finger tips reach to your knees even when you stand up straight, you now know the reason
smile_n_32.gif

BCK beat me to it, but yeah AC water is ok. Water from a dehumidifier also works. THe reason I mentioned it is I lost my former collection which was in an undrained terrarium.....was good for over a decade then it went to hades in a matter of a week. Since then I have stuck to growing protocol where I can regularly flush out accumulated salts. I was religious in my use of distilled water too but after time things just seem to go bad no matter ho careful you are. Sarracenia seem a little more forgiving than Drosera.

Well, my Sarracenia went from fantastic, to weird contorted shapes with no openings and burned tips. The drosera are fine. I am wondering if I sink a pipe down into the nether regions and periodically pumped out the water, if that would equate drainage.

I got these containers at IKEA for a song, spending 150.00 for all of them whereas normally that would be the price for one (or more). They are a lifetime investment and I would not jepordize them by trying to drill a hole in the bottom.

Back