What's new
TerraForums Venus Flytrap, Nepenthes, Drosera and more talk

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Basement grower from minnesota

hey my name is drew, but i've been called meaven for the longest time (weird, long story... maybe another time).

anyway, i'm new to growing CPs... sorta. i've had my actual terrarium for about 2 months.

it all started when i saw a big case of VFTs at the floral department of the grocery store i work at. i thought it would be cute to buy one for my girlfriend... turns out she has a horrific phobia of CPs ever since she saw a little shop of horrors play when she was young. darn it. so ok i took it home, made a crappy terrarium out of a soda bottle and proceeded to watch it die no matter what i did.

i'm persistant by nature. so what did i do? i went out and bought an aquarium, shop lights, and various other things and threw my setup together. then i ordered a big variety of CPs, and bought all the remaining VFTs from my store (there were 6).

so now they are all doing pretty well in my terrarium, its been about 2 months and all the plants have exploded in growth, im really suprised how well i've done.

i have a bit of a coloration issue going on but i think thats just because i dont have the right lighting yet.

right now i want to expand my collection with some more exotic stuff, like N. hamata or villosa, but these seem super hard to find... i'll keep trying.

anyway, thats me. oh, and by the way, me and my girlfriend broke up. something about evil plants next to the bed, i dont know. she was crazy anyhow.

[b said:
Quote[/b] (Meaven @ Aug. 26 2006,8:32)]anyway, thats me.  oh, and by the way, me and my girlfriend broke up.  something about evil plants next to the bed, i dont know.  she was crazy anyhow.
Welcome to TerraForums! She didn't like the romantic gesture of a CP?
confused.gif
She wasn't worth it!

welcome to the forums!

Welcome ,to the forum!

Jerry

Welcome to the forums.

VFT's will most likely do best if grown outside in full sun. They love the sun.
I grow all mine in full sun all day on my south facing deck.
If you decide to do that, adjust the plants slowly to the sun over a week or so, otherwise the leaves will burn as they are not accustome to the intensity of the sun.

Also do you know that VFT require a dormancy, which depending on how you have your terrarium set up may be hard to achieve.

Anyway welcome to the world of addictive plants, I mean carnivorous plants.

Welcome Meaven
smile.gif

Yes it sounds like you are well on your way to CP addiction. The neps you named are too hard to find but usually a bit expensive.

I grow my VFTs potted outdoors as well. Its a more natural environment. Tanks are ok but you must make sure there is good air circulation and a lot of light. Dormancy will be an issue as well.

Have fun...explore all the forums. Lots of information here and the community fellowships in the General Forum.
smile.gif

i think minnesota winters are far too cold. i read somewhere that putting them in a ziplock and the back of my fridge for 3 months works, is that true?

I have done something like tha in the past. I remove the plant, cut the leaves off and treat with fungicide. Place in barely damp sphagnum and put in the fridge.
I lost a ton when the dang fridge conked out-another freak accident that I seem to attract.

Cheers,

Joe

Minnisota winters would prolly be rough. i wont even try it here in Montana. my VFT's are growing in a tray on my back step first time they have done well for me. im trying to prove i can grow easy plants to the newbies
smile_n_32.gif
give me a plant thats from the moutain tops of South America and is supposed to be difficult and its a weed for me. give me a plant such as D. adelae that every newbie has and watch me kill it within the month (this is my 3rd try on VFTs)................

CPs are fun and addictive. this is a good bunch of ppl, if slightly demented. enjoy the show

Welcome to the forum. I'll have to take some picks of my basement setup for you. It seems to work well for central Illinois.

Hay another Minnesotan!!

Drew
Another Minnesota person, great!!! We should share notes and growlists; I live just north of the cities
regards
ed

Woah you dug deep to find this! i'll send you a PM, we'll talk!

welcome my friend!
wish you can find another girl who love CP.:welcome:

Yeah, I was a little curious about this since I was pretty sure you had been posting longer than 2 months... lol. Then I saw the quote in the first reply and realized it was jacked up like all the quotes from before the forum switch.

Anyways, better late than never!

xvart.

Back