Likes Likes:  0
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hello! Army n00b here.

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)

Hello! Army n00b here.

I wish you all a rather chilly hello from Fort Leavenworth, Kansas! I'm 23, married, into cars, have a dog and a cat, and enjoy long walks on the beach. rofl

Seriously though, I've always taken more than a slightly passing interest in CP's, but in the past month or so I decided to do more than own a Wal Mart VFT, which is the extent of my ownership up to this point. (Ironically enough, I stumbled across some VERY large and healthy Big Mouth cultivars at Wally World recently, 1.5 inch traps on that bad boy. )

I have also since then purchased red and white Cape sundews, and am looking at getting some butterworts, a Nepenthes, probably truncata, soon, as well as S. flava. I want my collection to be rather varied.

I'm gonna be seeing you all around, nice to meet you, and it's awesome a site like this exists!

Rob

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    welcome!! i started out like you with a vft from walmart (as many of us have) and the collections just grows and grows!! you may not have the REAL 'Big Mouth' cultivar....just a VFT with big traps. unlike you, alot of people like to base their collection on just one type of CP(with some others here and there). i personally like to have a variety. it just makes it that more interesting!! anywho i wish you luck on your collection! you will get more than enough info on here for your plants.
    Alex
    Everything is explainable. The seemingly unexplainable is but a result of our insufficient knowledge.- Hans Brewer

Stay chooned in for more! Clint's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome.

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by quadcam View Post
    I wish you all a rather chilly hello from Fort Leavenworth, Kansas!
    Well met! I grew up in Lawrence, KS so go Jayhawks! (Or if you are a Wildcats fan I went to school at K-State). I currently live in Kansas City (on the MO side).

Do you grow your vft inside or outside? Good luck only expanding your collection to the plants you mentioned... I think the only varied collection around here is the most comprehensive collection including all plants... ever!

Weclome!

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Thanks for all the welcomes everyone!

Quote Originally Posted by xvart View Post
    Well met! I grew up in Lawrence, KS so go Jayhawks! (Or if you are a Wildcats fan I went to school at K-State). I currently live in Kansas City (on the MO side).

Do you grow your vft inside or outside? Good luck only expanding your collection to the plants you mentioned... I think the only varied collection around here is the most comprehensive collection including all plants... ever!

Weclome!

xvart.
    Awesome that there's already someone on here from my area! That's good to know because if I need help hopefully you'll be available. hehe

I grow my VFT inside, it's actually two large healthy plants, and two or three smaller plants that have sprouted. I keep them inside because I figured it would be too cold outside for them.

Am I wrong?

Doing it wrong until I do it right. xvart's Avatar
    Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by quadcam View Post
    I grow my VFT inside, it's actually two large healthy plants, and two or three smaller plants that have sprouted. I keep them inside because I figured it would be too cold outside for them.

Am I wrong?
    Well, I grow my vft and my couple sarrs inside. Growing inside isn't optimal, but it is possible. I don't know how much you know about vft's and sarrs, but they do require a dormancy period which means they need about three month of reduced light and reduced temperature. I moved mine to my office which, unfortunate for me, is extremely cold in the winter so I think that worked for my plants.... We'll see come early March. The reason I grow mine inside is because I am unable to grow plants outside because of my living situation. There are some great resources on this forum about others who grow outside, or those who put their plants in their fridges for winter... Anyway, if you are looking to grow them outside and worried about the winter (which I was initially) I would recommend checking out this thread. It is a bog garden in Canada. I started growing more tropical species like neps and dews (although my collection isn't that impressive or large). Cruise around the search feature and send me a private message anytime I might be able to help.

If there's anything I've learned from TerraForums, it's that anything is possible with CPs.

xvart.
    "The tragedy of life is not that every man loses; but that he almost wins."

"Quis custodiet ipsos custodes?"

Mentioned
    0 Post(s)
    Tagged
    0 Thread(s)
    Welcome to the forum!

Jerry

Tropical Fish Enthusiast jimscott's Avatar
    Mentioned
    1 Post(s)